- M gwynne
I parkt my car in Aldi car park in side the shop you have to put your car reg in a machine witch I did thay sent me a letter saying I didn't do this but I did so thay say I will have to pay £70 or £40 pound within 4 days thay got me on camera I have sent them a letter what do you think thanks mick
- Strawman
As a car nut driving about 25,000 miles a year and Keen cyclist doing about 8,000 miles a year I cannot understand why you give space to confrontation letters about cyclists calling cyclist Lycra Louts.

First off people are people, you get idiots in cars and idiots in cars. Then the childish playground confrontational language does nothing to help. We are all road users. But as someone who does both I find car users violating the highway code as much, if not more than cyclists.

For example last trip through Bath, one cyclist jumped a green to red light change, and in the same journey so did a car driver. For the green to red change I saw 3 cars at two different lights run the Red, with two of them acceleration on the amber change. Two cars parked in the bike lane, one on the marked no parking section on a pedestrian crossing. One car entering a box junction when it should not. And about 80 speeding, oh and 3 unacceptably close passes. As the cars have number plates I would put it to you that identification has little impact on the inconsiderate. The problem is we have become conditioned to bad driving and too much is seen as acceptable.

Re why not cycle in cycle lane? There are many reasons. In some cases the cycle lane is shared with pedestrians and if you are doing 20mph + it is better to be on the road. Often inconsiderate people let their dogs mess it etc. Sometimes they are badly maintained or designed. Sometimes you need to leave to pass parked cars or even to travel in certain directions. Try cycling and driving it may change your views.

To sum up we are all road users and many car drivers have an excessive entitlement attitude over cyclists, walker, horse riders etc. And like everything some people are idiots. Not all drivers are prats driving drunk, over aggressively etc, nor should all drivers be held accountable for those idiots actions. And the same is true of cyclists.

And remember car drivers are also a pain. Look at attitudes as people wake up to the climate and environment of cars, from air quality in cities to blocking up roads through bad parking. where I live cars hold up me on my bike, due to bad parking, selfish drivers who insist on parking at the road side rather than using car parks. Here is one for you cyclists must use cycle lanes if car drivers can only park in car parks. :-)
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 10-06-2017 Part 1 - M gwynne
I parkt my car in Aldi car park in side the shop you have to put your car reg in a machine witch I did thay sent me a letter saying I didn't do this but I did so thay say I will have to pay £70 or £40 pound within 4 days thay got me on camera I have sent them a letter what do you think thanks mick