Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - Nathan Brannon

Hi all I was just wondering what all the types of astra are i.e. SRi SE e.t.c. and which are the best.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - SLO76
There's been hundreds since the first Astra appeared in 1979. Which generation are you talking about?
Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - Nathan Brannon

Sorry I should have said, no later than 2013.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - RobJP

Also, 'best' means different things to different people.

Want 'sporty' looks and handling, go for SRi

Want all the nice techy toys, the 'Tech line' trim

Want a basic car, 'Design' trim

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - TedCrilly

Red ones.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - RT

Get the sales brochure - do an up-spec on the basic model but adding only those options that you'd pay the option price for - then find which model is closest to your chosen specifucation.

Model trim is a very personal thing - it has to be your choice, not the forums.

No later as in not older than or not newer than 2013?
Last gen Astra J was available (from memory) in Exclusiv, Excite, Energy, Design, SE, SRi, Elite and VXR specifications (no doubt missed a few) with various engines and gearboxes. Which one is best is an impossible General question to answer. What you need to ask is which one is best for you? This depends on your budget, how much space you need, how many miles you cover, the type of driving you do and how much value you place on performance.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/06/2017 at 22:04

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - gordonbennet

The one without an electric parking brake.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - Ian_SW

They got rid of the electric parking brake on all model levels at the late 2012 facelift. Before that it was pretty much only the base model which had the real parking brake.

The seats in low spec models aren't great, but ok in SRi and SE, and quite decent in Elite. This means if you want one with half comfortable seats and a real parking brake, it will need to be a 62 reg or newer.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - Kekettykek

If your budget can stretch to it get an Astra K. Way better than all previous Astras and is a worthy challenger to the likes of the Golf, Focus and Mazda 3. I was recently going to replace my Focus with another but I found the Astra to be better equipped, more refined and has a nicer interior than the Focus whose crown has slipped lately. Only letdown with the K is the steering is a little too light and lacks feel but the overall package is a very good one.

As for trim levels, if you want all the driver aids get the SRi, if you like creature comforts go Elite.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - Avant

There's lots of information on this site: look at Car-by car reviews, and when you get to Vauxhall scroll down below the current models to the one you want.

Vauxhall Astra - Astra Types - 72 dudes

IMHO the SE represents the sweet spot: Exterior chrome, sensible wheels (SRi has 18" IIRC), better seat fabric and a piano black dash/console in place of the nasty milky silver one which the more basic models have.

I was invited to a launch event at MIRA back in 2011 I think, and drove many different versions. The 1.6 petrol was a slug though, so the 1.4T would be the choice if you do go petrol.