Model year? - davidhill

Hello,

What determines the model year of a vehicle, is it the date of manufacture or the date of sale or the date of first registration?

Post your thoughts soon..!!

Thanks,,,!!

About me:

I'm new in this forum, I am a consultant and have worked with multiple firms.

(Link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 24/02/2017 at 21:10

Model year? - RT

I've no intention of clicking a link from a first time poster.

In case anyone else wants to know - the 10th character of the 17-character VIN number defines the model year - it changes whenever the manufacturer wants it to - the "norm" varies a little for different continents.

Typically, the 2017 model year ran from October 2016 to September 2017, typically built after the factory summer break - but that's not reliable.

It doesn't relate to date of first registration at all

Model year? - SLO76
Repeat spam poster... can't be worth the effort surely?
Model year? - skidpan

Believe it or not some idiot on the Skoda forum posted a few weeks ago about 2018 model specs and when they would be announced.

I pointed out we were only a few days into 2017 so why worry about next years cars.

Model year? - RT

If you placed a factory order now, it would be one of the last 2017 models - depends what changes are planned.

According to Wikipedia "In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 1 of the previous calendar year. For example, this means that a 2017 model year vehicle can legally go on sale on January 1, 2016. This has resulted in a few cars in the following model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL's Super Bowl in February"