Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - brum

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/02/officials-draw.../

"officials are developing a scheme which could focus on geographical areas around the country where pollution is worst"

Dont know how that would work and how unfair that would be.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - oldroverboy.

Why unfair?

presumably if you use your car to go to a "controlled" area you could benefit from the scheme, so in theory anyone could use it.

Start with up to Euro 3 as in many european capitals they are no longer allowed.

I saw this most recently in Lisbon last week.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Auristocrat

Based on postcode would be a relatively simple and fair way.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - veloceman
Not sure why it should be regional. If old diesel cars are that dirty get them off the road full stop. All it will do is shift the problem elsewhere.
Doesn't cost the government that much to do scrapage as they a fair amount back in Vat anyway.

Why unfair?

Ive a feeling if this ever gets implemented it'll only be offered to people living in or around London

Amd if you live say in North Yorkshire or rural Hampshire and dont get access to the scrappage scheme, you still have a car that cant go to London, manchester, birmingham, etc etc.

So is that fair?

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Auristocrat

There are already planned Clean Air Zones for Birmingham, Leeds, Derby, Southampton and Nottingham which will be introduced by 2020. Private car owners will not be affected, and the zones will target older vehicles (taxis, coaches, buses and lorries) which don't meet the latest emissions standards, by charging them for entering the Clean Air Zones.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Smileyman

it is unfair to target only certain areas of the country .... for instance, on what basis will the regions be identified, perhaps the car has to be registered to a certain post code? This would be unfair on those who would miss out - also unfair if only retailers in certain areas could participate in the scheme, it gives them a price advantage over other retalers.

better to fair and apply the scheme for the whole of the UK & NI on a flat rate basis

Also to be fair to all motorists extend he scheme to older petrol cars too

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Bolt

it is unfair to target only certain areas of the country .... for instance, on what basis will the regions be identified, perhaps the car has to be registered to a certain post code? This would be unfair on those who would miss out - also unfair if only retailers in certain areas could participate in the scheme, it gives them a price advantage over other retalers.

better to fair and apply the scheme for the whole of the UK & NI on a flat rate basis

Also to be fair to all motorists extend he scheme to older petrol cars too

I don`t think it will be based on area, I think it will be based on year, they will know what dates are the worst polluting so just concentrate on them, simple that way.

If a car tries to go into a city it could be stopped or fined the same as pulling a car for speeding/other offence!

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Fishermans Bend

And what about all the old diesel people run on recycled veggie oil? Father in law has an old diesel Merc, can't see him parting with it, hardly ever ventures to a city. He's one for park and ride if necessary.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Ethan Edwards

Why should I be forced to get rid of my car? I like way it drives. It gets good mpg and has done less than 50thou. Should I get rid, borrow money, just to get a nasty small tin box with a weeny small petrol engine made in India or some such.

Is that going to help the UK balance of trade?

The greenest car you can get is the one you already own.

But HMG just cos I'm green doesn't make me gullible enough to fall for your twaddle.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Andrew-T

This proposal has nothing to do with the balance of trade - though it may well affect it. It is the latest lurch in the govt's attempts to decide whether CO2, NO2, unburnt hydrocarbons or soot particles are doing our health the most damage.

The only real way to reduce that damage is for millions of people to drive less, which few of them are willing to do. Personally, for the last 50 years or so I have tried to use cars with fairly small engines, driving them economically to limit my consumption of fossil fuel and the emissions from the exhaust.

The last scrappage scheme really only gave the motor industry a boost, and led to a foolish waste of quite a few serviceable vehicles. Another one will probably do the same.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Smileyman

Perhaps it will enable stupid ideas like the 60mph speed restriction for the M1 to be ditched!

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - RT

Perhaps it will enable stupid ideas like the 60mph speed restriction for the M1 to be ditched!

That'll come down to 50 to reduce pollution - it's not caused by vehicles on the M1, its caused by industry in the Sheffield area.

That'll come down to 50 to reduce pollution - it's not caused by vehicles on the M1, its caused by industry in the Sheffield area.

RT you really are stuck in the past. Industry left Sheffield last century.

Unless youre thinking about MacDonalds, or Meadowhall shopping centre....

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - gordonbennet
Unless youre thinking about MacDonalds, or Meadowhall shopping centre....

Don't forget our national growth industry, piling Chinese/Indian made tat ever higher in sprawling ever larger warehouses, themselves built, naturally, on previously good green land, and filling our roads with ever larger lorries transporting it huge distances from port to warehouse, and thence to said shopping centres, a perma sustainable economic miracle i tell you, with smaller service type 'industries' keeping this charade going.

Notice how Yorkshire/North Notts/Derbyshire towns are spreading so close now that it's but a short stroll between the various outskirts.

Northamptonshire and its surrounds have benefitted greatly from this wonderful boom industry (insert face palm smiley or maniacal laughter here), which is leading to East Northants towns getting ever closer, another 30 years and the county will resemble Birmingham district too, where there is nothing but warehouses and retail parks and the odd public park where only the brave venture after dark separating the once individual towns which have also seen massive house building programs to cater for the effects of imported warehouse workers.

A veritable warehouse of cards?

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Andrew-T

Agreed it would be much nicer if all those prefab boxes were still farmed land, but sadly there's never been a fast buck to be made by farming, so we can't be surprised when the next generation inherits and gets an offer he can't refuse.

Govts and councils realise it all 'creates jobs', so it's all a no-brainer.

Diesels - Scrappage scheme - again? - Avant

Don't despair - only 5% of tha area of England is built on (2.5 % of Great Britain. But I'm the first to agree that, to keep it like that, the Government and local authorities need to make more effort to build on brownfield sites.

The much-too-frequent habit of Government inspectors overruling local authorities in favour of developers needs to be controlled too. They are too keen to meet targets for house-building without making enough effort to find the right sites.

We live in rural north Dorset in a village surrounded by dairy farms. Unsurprisingly where there were about 15 farms twenty years ago, now there are only four. Fortunately the four have bought up the land, and there isn't the pressure to build new houses as there would be if we were near a big town or city.

Sorry - a bit of thread drift there - no harm done!

Edited by Avant on 05/02/2017 at 15:45