Roundabout Lane Question - Steve Norwood

Got a question about this round about and need someone knowledgeable with the rules to help.

goo.gl/maps/X1xoN6jLhM92

What lane should vehicles be in if they are coming off the A27 and wanting to take the 3 rd exit on to A2038 King George Av?

There are two lanes on to the roundabout and one lane off on to the A2038. goo.gl/maps/rs6tU9cg9A22

Many thanks,

Dave

Edited by Steve Norwood on 30/01/2017 at 21:05

Roundabout Lane Question - RT

Without any direction markings on the road, or on preceding signs?, then I'd suggest that either lane is legal and neither has priority over the other.

Roundabout Lane Question - RobJP

Without any direction markings on the road, or on preceding signs?, then I'd suggest that either lane is legal and neither has priority over the other.

Agreed. If I was driving there, I'd probably position myself in the left lane, but be very aware of traffic to my right as well.

Roundabout Lane Question - Falkirk Bairn

I would be in the outside lane as I am leaving by the 3rd exit - assuming no lane markings.

Roundabout Lane Question - RT

I would be in the outside lane as I am leaving by the 3rd exit - assuming no lane markings.

It's a 5-exit roundabout with the 3rd exit effectively straight ahead.

Roundabout Lane Question - Bromptonaut

It's a six exit roundabout so 'normal' rules wont apply.

For me A27>A2028 is more or less straight on. All things equal I'd stick to outside of R/bout but be aware of traffic with different perspective to my right.

Roundabout Lane Question - Energyman
There doesn't appear to be any lane markings on the roundabout either! I don't think there is a definitive answer, but I would also give way to any of the following no matter what lane they choose to be in ......
foreign hgv's, white vans, boy racers, cars driven by men with hats on, school run mums, audi's, beemers, 4x4 especially with blacked out windows driven by men with shaved heads and medallions, any double glazing fitters vans..... Have I missed any?

Roundabout Lane Question - focussed

In the absence of road signs or markings directing you to a specifc lane to use for the road you want to leave on:-

Think of the roundabout as a horizontal clock face - your approach road is at 6 o'clock.

If you are intending to leave before 12 o'clock, use the left hand lane.

If you are intending to leave after 12 o'clock, use the right hand lane.

Roundabout Lane Question - Theophilus

Wouldn't it be true to say focussed, that in France most drivers would take the outside lane, even if going all the way around the roundabout!

Roundabout Lane Question - focussed

Wouldn't it be true to say focussed, that in France most drivers would take the outside lane, even if going all the way around the roundabout!

Firstly, my advice was based on the standard way to teach dealing with roundabouts to UK learners when I was an instructor in the UK.

French drivers on roundabouts - don't get me started!

Excerpt from the real Code de la route ( French highway code)

Rule No 1 - None of the rules apply to me as i am French, I drive a French car, and I am in France, it's after lunchtime and I have had a couple of large glasses of an excellent Burgundy - what could possibly go wrong?

Rule No 2 - See rule one.

I have absolutely no idea why they cling to the right hand(outside) lane when turning left - unless they have found that if they position in the left lane to turn left they tend to get get overtaken on the right and are then obstructed when they try to change lane to leave at their intended exit(without signalling of course).

I have absolutely no idea either why, when approaching a four -way ronde point intending to leave straight ahead at the second exit, French drivers signal left on approach!

The situation to be very very careful of is their stupid priorite a droite rule, where in certain circumstances the car joining from a road on your right has priority over you - some French won't do it - aggressive ones will - as the horrendous skid marks near these junctions tell you!

Roundabout Lane Question - HGV ~ P Valentine

You prob have your answer already as this post is old now, I have looked on streetview and over view of this roundabout, here is my opinion for what it is worth.

There are no road markings on the roundabout so standard rules apply, as with always your actions or the actions of others should have some bearing on your approach, since it is the 3rd exit all traffic on the left lane should be departing on exit 1or 2, but watch out for the idiot driver who either is lost, or incompetant, because they may very well think it ok to stay on the left and keep indicating right, and as such stay on the roundabout.

But if there is no such driver as you aspproach watch for their indicaters, if they are indicating left on the approach there is a good chance they are taking exit 1, if they are not indicating they pose more of a danger to you because they may very well be looking to cut you up, so if you are behind them watch out and see if they turn their left indicater on after the first exit, if they do there is a good chance they are leaving at 2nd exit, Dyke Road Avenue.

You should be indicating left opposite 2nd exit, and moving across when it is safe to do so, if you can move across slightly berfore that then even better, but make sure your indicaters show you are moving across and not trying to exit of 2nd ext as a last min move.

As you pass 2nd exit your indicaters should most certainly be on, and your road position should be at the place where you are turning off and not using 2 lanes to exit.

Roundabout Lane Question - glidermania

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/roundabouts.html