CarPlan Windscreen wash - MidAtlantian

I had some Carplan Windscreen wash, and wanted to know what "severe winter conditions" meant, since that was when you were not supposed to dilute the screenwash.

I was astonished to find that undiluted, it protected the wash to -3 degrees. I suggested that that might be appropriate for, perhaps north Africa or the Caribbean, certainly not the Scottish hhighlands, ... or London!

MidAtlantian

Edited by MidAtlantian on 03/01/2017 at 21:43

CarPlan Windscreen wash - RT

Triple QX All-season screenwash concentrate will go down to the same level - the Triple QX -15C Winter screenwash concentrate has more ethanol and goes down down to -15C.

Below that you need to heat the washer bottle and the nozzles!

CarPlan Windscreen wash - brum

Plenty of quality oe screen wash can go much lower. e.g. GM Opticlean will go to -30deg C at 2 parts Opticlean to 1 part water.

When I recently visited Poland I noticed 5l tubs of winter screenwash ready mixed for -21deg C for about £1.50 iirc in supermarkets.

Edited by brum on 03/01/2017 at 22:21

CarPlan Windscreen wash - daveyjp

I picked up 10 litres from the local cash and carry for £6 a few weeks ago.

Its good to -15 degrees and this time of year I use litres of it (headlamp washers dont help!).

Being able to dilute to get about 30 litres makes it good value for money.

CarPlan Windscreen wash - Andrew-T

Triple QX All-season screenwash concentrate will go down to the same level - the Triple QX -15C Winter screenwash concentrate has more ethanol and goes down down to -15C.

Ethanol ? Does it ? I should think the winos would be clearing the shelves if that were true ? It's usually IPA I think (isopropyl alcohol) which doesn't have the same effect.

Ethanol ? Does it ? I should think the winos would be clearing the shelves if that were true ? It's usually IPA I think (isopropyl alcohol) which doesn't have the same effect.

Methylated spirits is mainly ethanol with taste-spoilers added to stop it being drunk - ethanol-based screen washes are the same, enough taste-spoilers to stop the winos.

CarPlan Windscreen wash - oldgit

Methylated spirits is mainly ethanol with taste-spoilers added to stop it being drunk - ethanol-based screen washes are the same, enough taste-spoilers to stop the winos.

Our works Methylated Sprits, code R128 was Ethanol plus a few percent of Methanol to make it undrinkable unless of course you wanted to drink it and kill yoursel and go blind by so doing.

Methylated Spirits in the shops/stores is Ethanol and a purple dye plus Pyridine to really make it undrinkable. My latest bottle from Homebase is fairly colourless and has an unusual almost pleasant odour but I'm no longer at work, as an analytical chemist, so cannot do IR spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry onit to confirms its composition

Or you might just distil some ....

My latest bottle from Homebase is fairly colourless and has an unusual almost pleasant odour but I'm no longer at work, as an analytical chemist, so cannot do IR spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry onit to confirms its composition.

CarPlan Windscreen wash - oldgit

I'm naive though. For what purpose and in what apparatus?

My latest bottle from Homebase is fairly colourless and has an unusual almost pleasant odour but I'm no longer at work, as an analytical chemist, so cannot do IR spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry onit to confirms its composition.

CarPlan Windscreen wash - Gibbo_Wirral

I've found this stuff to be brilliant and I'm not normally a Halfords fan or a fan of mixing it myself. But my washer jets are working straight from cold.

www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/scree...y

I've found this stuff to be brilliant and I'm not normally a Halfords fan or a fan of mixing it myself. But my washer jets are working straight from cold.

www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/scree...y

I tried that in the summer - didn't clean very well - but it smells nice

CarPlan Windscreen wash - concrete

I always used Halfords screen wash. For many years I spent the majority of my working life in Scotland. Travelling to most areas at all times of the year. My screen washers always worked fine and the wash stood up to cold temperatures no problem. I don't think we ever got down to -15C though. On site we always monitored the temperature so we knew if it was safe to place concrete or lay mortar and avoid frost damage so I think apart from some high and remote areas our winter is not as cold as we percieve. I don't think I would pay to have heated screen wash nozzles as an option. Anyway now I live in Kent it seems positively sub-tropical after North Yorkshire!

Cheers Concrete

I'm naive though. For what purpose and in what apparatus?

To measure the boiling point of the constant-boiling mixture.

As to apparatus, you would need to work in a chem.lab, which you clearly did ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/01/2017 at 18:27