Buying a Samsung Smart TV - FoxyJukebox

I am researching smart tvs before buying. My needs are 90% met by the Samsung UE43KU6400.

Customer reviews are good, but there are moans and groans that the unit does not carry the BBC Iplayer App, in spite of product information and sales talk saying it IS available.

A near neighbour bought a Samsung Smart tv the other month which he says is brill, but he also discovered his set did not include the service.

BBC Iplayer is essential surely?. Can you imagine buying a normal tv and finding that BBC1 was unobtainable?

Anybody got anything to say on this matter? If I do buy this seemingly excellent set without Iplayer-how can I insure that I get a hard hitting software update that includes iplayer-or/and apart from adding a separate streaming box( eg a roku or some such), how can i get round my problem.

Buying a Samsung Smart TV - daveyjp
Google the problem and the BBC explain in full why this is the case.
Buying a Samsung Smart TV - concrete

My daughter swears by LG. Her smart tv has all the gizmos that you require and she has Now tv and netflix too which I believe can give you access to online tv such i player etc. But if you really want a Samsung and it doesn't support internet or online connections then you can always buy a smartbox from Now for about £15 which will give you internet access to live stream television. I am surprised that any smart tv these days will not connect to the internet, which is how to access i player I believe. Good luck.

Concrete

Buying a Samsung Smart TV - gordonbennet

We run a spare desktop connected to the telly so anything on the net, incl BBC i player, not already installed on the telly can be run through that.

I'm sure any decent internet device could be made to do the same.

Managed to bag another Fire TV device on Amazon's Prime day today for £20, so thats more or less the whole house sorted, seldom if ever do we watch a single live broadcast, and haven't seen advert for anything for months, bliss.

Buying a Samsung Smart TV - Energyman
I bought a Samsung a couple of years ago after a lot of research but was disappointed by the limited number of apps, principally no bt sport app, so had to get a google chrome and link iPad to it to watch.
I did find picture settings on the internet that transformed the already v good picture to excellent.
Also the wireless connection was very hit and miss so gave up and use wired connection instead. Not what you would expect from a main brand.
Buying a Samsung Smart TV - FoxyJukebox

So just to be clear the google chrome(cast?) plus Ipad worked via wifi --just fine--but the tv set's wifi for it's own smart services was unreliable.This suggests the set is either wrongly placed or is at fault?

Buying a Samsung Smart TV - Energyman
Sorry, to clarify the chromecast was the only way I could watch bt sport on the tv, opened the app on the iPad then 'cast' it to the tv bit like Apple TV box.
The wifi built in to my tv is hit and miss could be my tv only, so have hard wired. This model is us40e7000. Perhaps the first two letters should have been a clue! It always found the router but just would not connect.
I have a Samsung DVD HDD recorder which also has wifi and sits under it and this connected very easily.
Tv was also marketed as future proof as it could be easily upgraded most people thought software, firmware upgrades but it meant adding an evoloution kit which plugs in and adds extra processors initially cost £250 but I bought when reduced to £60. Tv was v good before but vastly improved with it.
Moral try all the features on the tv before you buy.
Buying a Samsung Smart TV - Paul_1

...it's hard to beat pirate bay and a good old HDMI connection