Mercedes-Benz ML-Class (2005–2012)
New M-Class premiered in Euorpe Summer 2005 and in UK autumn 2005. Measures 4,788mm long x 1,904mm wide x 1,811mm high, so longer and wider but slightly lower than old model.
Features standard-fit seven-speed 7G-TRONIC, PRE-SAFE® anticipatory occupant protection (as seen in S Class), AIRMATIC air suspension, more effective 4-ETS four-wheel drive system. Cd down to 0.34.
V6 320CDI takes the place of the outgoing five-cylinder in-line engine. Has 224bhp and 510nm torque from 1,600rpm. 280CDI offers 190bhp and 440Nm and also 30mpg combined. ML350 V6 petrol has 272bhp. ML500 V8 has 306bhp.
7G-TRONIC can be ordered with steering wheel shift buttons. 4ETS traction system now has downhill driving aid, start-off Assist and off-road ABS system. M-Class can be ordered with two different variants of the four-wheel drive system, allowing it to meet varying requirements of off-road drivers: a new off-road package is available as an optional extra. Has two-speed transfer case with an off-road ratio, manually or automatically selectable differential locks (100 per cent) between the front and rear axle and on the rear axle, and a modified version of AIRMATIC, which raises ground clearance by 110 mm to as much as 291 mm and the vehicle’s fording depth to a maximum of 600 mm.
Standard-fit alloy wheels and wide 235/65 R 17 (V6 models) or 255/55 R 18 (V8 model) tyres. Up to 2050 litres of load capacity. EASY PACK system makes boot area easier to load and unload. Outrageous ML 63 AMG has 510bhp and 630Nm torque. ML63AMG in UK from Summer 2006. ML280 from April 2006 from £35,175.
Comprehensively revamped for Spring 2008:
- All-new front-end design with prominent horizontal lines
- New radiator grille with three black louvres and chrome highlights (available in sterling silver look with chrome highlights as an option in the exterior sports package)
- New-look projection-beam headlamps
- New exterior mirrors with larger mirror surfaces
- New rear bumper
- Tail lights with darkened lenses
- (LED tail lights with clear-glass look as an option)
- Twin exhaust system with oval tailpipes (rectangular chromed tailpipes in the exterior sports package as an option, standard for V8)
- Roof rails included in standard specification
- Chrome trim strip in the rub strips (optional in the exterior sports package, standard for V8)
- Waistline trim strip in chrome (optional in the exterior sports package, standard for V8)
- Load sill guard on the rear bumper in chrome (optional in the exterior sports package, standard for V8)
- Exterior sports package with new, enhanced features such as aluminium-look roof rails