I sold a car 'as seen and approved' but the buyer now claims there are faults and is demanding money?

I have a 'sold as seen and approved' document from a sale I made recently but now the purchaser is demanding £500 for alleged faults. He wants to take County Court action against me. What are my rights? He inspected, drove, paid for and took delivery of the car at the time.

Asked on 23 February 2018 by John Bigglestone

He can sue you if the car has a dangerous fault that makes it unsafe. Or he can sue you for breach of contract if he alleges you promised something that wasn't met. But if the car has simply broken down post-sale, or uses more oil than he expected, or developed some other mechanical or electrical fault he has no grounds to sue you. He has no 'consumer rights' against you that he would have against a dealer: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/