I read that engine oil is contaminated by the DPF in 4x4s - is this the case with all diesel cars?

I read in a recent 4x4 review that the engine oil is quickly contaminated by the DPF. Is this the case on all diesel engines with a DPF, and can it affect the life of the engine?

Depends on how the car is driven. Mostly short runs from cold starts will soot up a DPF. Switching off when the DPF is actively regenerating will contaminate the sump oil with post-injected fuel. If the car is regularly driven significant distances with a minimum of short runs from cold there should be no problem until it gets past around 80,000 miles.