Are people fitting older engines to the Ford Galaxy to avoid timing belt problems?

i am thinking of buying a used new shape Ford Galaxy but I have heard that there is a problem with one of the diesel engines. I think it is the 1.8 TDCI which has a timing belt instead of a chain. I am told that it breaks, and that replacing it is very expensive, such that some people are replacing the engines with older versions that have timing chains. Have you heard anything about this?

Asked on 5 September 2010 by Carlbmm

All the diesel engines are belt, but the 1.8 is basically the original Ford Fiesta diesel engine from 1983 continually updated. But they are still the old half chain, half belt design and not recommended.