My Ford is pinking under acceleration - what's causing this?

I took my 52-plate 1.8-litre petrol Ford to the Ford garage who recommended getting the ECU/EMS diagnosed and set up correctly. They want £50 to do so though! V-Power petrol/petrol additives do not seem to make a difference. Is there anything else that could be causing this, or that I could do, or have Ford hit the nail on the head?

Pinking is normally an indication of pre-ignition caused by incorrect timing of the engine. You may be advised to go to a local garage, who should also give the same diagnosis, and if so he should be able to rectify and at a reasonable cost.