Will changing the 17-inch rims to 16-inch soften the ride in my Ford Fiesta?

I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta on 17-inch rims, ride is great on motorways but harsh on poor roads. I could switch to 16-inch rims, but do you think will I notice the difference? Are there suspension settings that can be changed to soften the ride?

Asked on 3 July 2017 by James Vint

Fiestas on 17-inch rims are rock hard. Like driving on no tyres at all. 16-inch wheels with deeper profile tyres will improve it without affecting the handling. 15-inch or 14-inch with progressively deeper profile tyres will solve the problem, but at some cost in handling.