What's the best vehicle to tow a horse and trailer?

I am considering swapping my car for a vehicle I can tow with. I will be using this to commute with work as well as tow, therefore dont want a gas guzzler, and I've seen some with lower towing limits that are more economical. Can you recommend a good towing that would be comfortably tow a horse & trailer? I thought I understood what I needed to calculate (horse weight approx 700kg and and trailer weight) but I have spoken to a few people who have just confused me Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. The combined weight of the trailer and horse would be around 2000kg.

Asked on 28 March 2017 by sma90

As long as the weight of the trailer is within the documented towing weight of the tow car it's okay. The caravan club puts out a recommendation not to tow more than 85% of the weight of the car, but that is for 2WD cars, not 4WD cars and SUVs. I'd recommend the Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI or Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDI. Both can tug 2,200kg, both have long warranties and both have trouble free chain cam engines.