What's the lowest rpm I could drop to in achieving good economy and a clean pick up?

I've just watched your Volkswagen Polo economy driving video. I recently bought a new Vauxhall Astra ST 1.4 150 T (i.e. same sort of small capacity turbo engine) which I run on Shell Nitro for low end torque and carbon combatting detergents. I am very impressed at it's ability to pull cleanly from low revs, but (especially while running it in) rather worried about letting it slog. Do you know at what revs maximum torque comes in on this engine? How low could I let the revs go to ensure good economy but also a clean pick up.

Asked on 20 January 2017 by ridgerog

Unless it's changed from 2010: 200Nm (148 lb ft) torque at 1850 - 4900 rpm. That's not a lot of torque, but drivability depends not on maximum torque but how much of it is available from lower rpm and Shell Nitro will improve that. You're probably safe down to around 1300rpm. (In comparison a Peugeot 1.2 PureTech 130 develops 230NM from 1750rpm but feels a lot gutsier.)