What’s causing my Vauxhall Astra diesel to judder?

I own a Vauxhall Astra SRI 2.0 diesel. Recently, when starting in the morning, it developed a horrendous shuddering and juddering. It also revs on its own when idle. When driving in first, second and third gears, it jumps along. Things get better when it heats up, but it still sounds bad. Any ideas what this could be?

Sounds as though you have a bad misfire.

It could be any one of a number of things, so check the basics, i.e loose connections on all air /vacuum pipes. Check for loose connections on all wiring (especially on Injectors). Other than that the next thing would be to have a diagnostic check carried out as this could well then show up a fault code ( ie (P---- 4 numbers) which can then be related to the actual fault.

Other than that you would need someone to check out the many sensors fitted to the engine (one by one) hence the diagnostic in the first instance.