Peugeot 508 SW cam shaft failure

The cam shaft snapped on my Peugeot 1.6 diesel 508 SW - catastrophic engine failure. The car is less than five years old, fully serviced, 78k miles, levels all good, no warning lights. A new engine around £5k - more than the car is worth. Peugeot don't want to know and offer nothing. Do I just roll over and accept that it is "just one of those things" or do I keep fighting?

Asked on 18 August 2016 by Tim Travis

Very common engine fitted to Fords, Peugeots, Citroens, Mazdas and MINIs. I think the reason for the failure was oil starvation, possibly caused by carbon blocking the turbo bearing oil feed and oil return pipes. You should never directly switch off a hot turbocharged diesel engine. leave it to idle for a minute first.

I thought I'd heard of the same problem with other models fitted with the 8v 1.6 diesel (Mazda 3), I'd enquire of a member of www.fer.co.uk about getting a rebuilt motor. Your existing high pressure fuel pump should be okay (which is an expensive item), but you will need at least new turbo bearing oil feed and oil return pipes.