Alternator problems with Ford Focus

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol (2001) and have recently been experiencing starting problems with it. I assumed it was starter motor, but now I'm not so sure as it started first time the following day, but when I put my lights on it cut out.

I noticed the alternator was hot and put a tester on the battery to check, but it did not indicate that the alternator was faulty. I buy a new alternator does the diode come with it? I have been told this could be causing the fault too.

Usually the alternator diodes are on the back of the exchange alternator so come part and parcel with it. Not worth messing around trying to buy them separately.