HGVs turning left and cyclists

In order for heavy goods vehicles to clear a corner, particularly when turning left, they have to continue as if going straight across the intersection before actually executing the left maneuver. Longer wheelbase vehicles like these, need to do this. Would you concur that a large number of cyclists do not understand this, and that they may be misled into thinking a vehicle on their right is going straight ahead, rather than setting itself up for a left turn? I think that if this was better conveyed to cyclists, they might more fully understand the dangers.

Asked on 3 September 2014 by Dale Lewis

About left turning HGVs you could not be more right. Some fix notices to the rear warning cyclist of this.