Advice on late delivered NIP?

My husband has received an NIP for a speeding offence on 20th FEB, the issue date is 15th May, some 12 weeks later. I was actually driving the car at the time and so we need to respond. Should my husband fill out and send the form back saying I was driving as I'm sure they should have issued a NIP within 14 days? Just wondered what the best way to deal with the situation?

Asked on 22 May 2013 by Elka966

The 14 day rule is notification to the registered keeper of the car, so if this is a company or lease car that explains the delay and you must respond with the requested details asap.