When should an oil and filter change take place?

I took my wife's car in for an MoT recently and asked them to change the oil and filter. It usually only does short runs of about five miles.

The service manger said that it doesn't need the oil changing every year, the car knows when the oil needs changing and he'd never heard or someone wanting it changed when it doesn't need to be changed.

I eventually insisted the oil and filter were changed.

Asked on 1 December 2021 by

Answered by Sarah Tooze
Generally, we would advise an oil and filter change at 7,500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. However, most modern cars have an onboard system that informs the driver when the engine needs an oil change (either by mileage or time).
Tags: oil changes