How can I fix my Volkswagen Golf's DPF problems?

I have a 2011 Volkswagen Golf Plus diesel with approx 54,000 miles on the clock. It has a problem with the DPF (diesel particulate filter) light which comes on and then forces the car into limp mode. It has now been to the local dealer on six occasions and each time they tell me it is fixed but then the light comes back on.

It has now been with them for nearly two months and they cannot make any progress. So I am paying tax and insurance on a car I cannot use. Is this a common fault and is the car fit for purpose?

Asked on 18 May 2021 by Chris

We'd only recommend diesel vehicles to people who cover high motorway miles. It sounds like you don't cover enough miles to warrant a diesel, which is causing the DPF to become blocked. You could try using DPF cleaner and taking it on a good motorway run every 300 miles or so. But in the long run you'd be better selling it and buying a petrol model, though.