There's an abandoned vehicle with all the documents inside outside my flat. How do I deal with it?

I rent out a flat and my tenant gave notice but then disappeared off abroad. We found a car with all paperwork inside, plus keys. I have, as expected, discovered there is finance on the car but have you any idea on how I can find out the finance company? We don’t expect the guy to be in touch. Apologies if this is behind your remit!

Asked on 23 April 2021 by Chrissie

Answered by Dan Powell
General Data Protection Regulation rules will prevent you from finding out which finance company owns the vehicle. My advice would be to report the car to your local council. The car will belong to the finance provider and the council will need to contact them to arrange recovery. You can report abandoned vehicles online, here:
Similar questions
Why are contract hire prices so much lower than PCPs? You don't own the car at the end but there is very little equity in it if you do.
Are PCP/PCH deals available on pre-registered cars?
Is there any help presently for those struggling to pay for vehicles on PCH? Anything like a payment holiday. Thanks in advance.


Value my car