Should I get Michelin or Continental tyres?

You recommend Michelin CrossClimate+ but they're not available in my tyre size. Are Cross Climate SUVs just as good or would Continental AllSeasonContact be a better all-season tyre?

Asked on 17 November 2020 by Tony Oldershaw

They have specific pros and cons, so you should pick based on what each tyre excels in. Generally speaking, all-season tyres tend to perform stronger either in wet and cold weather or dry weather because it depends on whether the tyre leans more towards a winter tyre design or summer tyre design.

The Michelin is a summer tyre with winter tyre capability, meaning it's comfortable, great in the dry and very sharp on the road - but it doesn't handle snow as well as rivals. It also isn't quite as good in wet weather. The Continental is a great all-rounder for high mileage drivers as it's very fuel-efficient and handles snow and ice well. However, the Conti tyres don't brake as well in dry weather. Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 are an excellent alternative to both, the tyres handle very well in wet and dry (more so in snowy and wet conditions), are fuel-efficient, and quiet on the road - the just aren't quite as sharp in dry weather as the Michelins. These are some of the best (if not, the 3 overall best) all-season options so you can't really go wrong. I'd just say to avoid the Michelins if you see a lot of snow or ice where you live.