Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Can I use winter tyres in summer months?

I have a set of summer and winter tyres but the summer tyres need replacing and I'm thinking of changing to all-season tyres. However, the winter tyres still have a lot of miles left in them. Is it legal or advisable to carry on using these tyres over the summer until they need replacing? In addition, which all-season tyres would you recommend? Winter performance in snow is a major factor as I live on a hill.

Asked on 16 October 2020 by

I wouldn't advise using winter tyres in the summer months. Winter tyres are designed for cold temperatures. When it's warm, you won't need the deep tread depths to handle snow, ice etc. The rubber compound will wear down faster in warm weather, firstly. In summer, winter tyres also won't provide the same handling capabilities as summer or all-season tyres, so you won't get the sharp response from a winter tyre in warm weather. They'll slow you down and make your car less fuel-efficient, too. If you want all-season tyres, I'd advise Michelin CrossClimate+, Continental AllSeasonContact or Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2.