Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

The DVLA lost my V5C and now want me to pay for a replacement?

I sent my V5C logbook to the DVLA with a change of fuel notification. After a month I called them and they said to wait longer but they could tax it over the phone. The log book never arrived so I called to tax it again and they said they had no record of it and I would have to pay £25 for a replacement. This seems unfair, particularly as they have bad press for documents going missing. Can I continue without one?

Asked on 11 August 2020 by bbruce

Answered by Georgia Petrie
No, you'll need one. But I would certainly be emailing to make a complaint because you aren't wrong about documents being lost recently. My advice would be to send things by recorded delivery so you have proof.
Similar questions
I bought a car on the 6th of August and taxed it on the 7th when I also gave post office the logbook of my vehicle that I had part exchanged. The car I bought was not suitable and I returned it to the...
I've taken my private plate off my car online and got the retention certificate within a week. The DVLA said the V5C will arrive in 4 to 8 weeks. That was 3 months ago. I want to sell the car, which is...
I bought a used car on 8 June. As required, the selling dealer sent off the old V5C to the DVLA (I've double-checked with him and he assures me this was done) and he gave me the new keeper slip. Two months...

Value my car