Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

The DVLA lost my V5C and now want me to pay for a replacement?

I sent my V5C logbook to the DVLA with a change of fuel notification. After a month I called them and they said to wait longer but they could tax it over the phone. The log book never arrived so I called to tax it again and they said they had no record of it and I would have to pay £25 for a replacement. This seems unfair, particularly as they have bad press for documents going missing. Can I continue without one?

Asked on 11 August 2020 by bbruce

No, you'll need one. But I would certainly be emailing to make a complaint because you aren't wrong about documents being lost recently. My advice would be to send things by recorded delivery so you have proof.