Is there a difference in the reliability of Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi and SEAT models?

Do you think there is a difference in the reliability of the different Volkswagen Group models? Skoda seems to have by far the best write-ups with various awards and recommendations. Seems strange seeing as Audi, Volkswagen and SEAT share a lot a common components. Maybe Skoda owners expect less and look after their cars better.

Asked on 4 June 2020 by Peter

In theory, there shouldn't be any difference. Volkswagen, SEAT, Skoda and Audi share engines, mechanical platforms and tech. Yet, Volkswagen was rated as one of the worst car brands for reliability in the Honest John Satisfaction Index 2020, while Skoda was named as one of the best: www.honestjohn.co.uk/honest-john-satisfaction-inde.../

This suggests that Skoda build quality is higher than Volkswagen, right now.
Tags: reliability