I want a stress-free alternative to all the Japanese/Korean cars I've owned. What do you suggest?

I'm starting to get bored of all the fantastically reliable Japanese/Koreans cars which have shuffled me from A-B for decades. I'm finally willing to let the standards slip a little but so many cars seem to suffer common faults. I need something petrol or hybrid, reliable and not over 10 years old within an £8000 budget. Volkswagen offerings are a write off, similarly with Ecoboost and Powershift dilemnas. I'm aware that plenty of revisions came around but these fall out of budget. BMW doesn't seem to have released anything reliable (within budget) for over a decade. I don't seem to hear much about Mercedes-Benz compared to the others but I don't know much about them. I've noticed Peugeot's 1.2 PureTech suggested by yourselves quite often - which is interesting. I'd have to know which transmission pairing makes for a solid bet I suppose, and it would be perfect if it had a bit more pull to be honest. What's your take?

Asked on 22 May 2020 by Ak

Used premium cars like those sold by Mercedes-Benz and BMW could prove expensive to run as they get older. Do you have any requirements for practicality? A Volkswagen Golf could be a good option if you fancy a change from Japanese/Korean cars. Yes, the DSG gearboxes are known to be problematic, but regular oil changes (every 40k miles) should prevent any issues. The latest Peugeot 308 is a really underrated alternative, available with the 1.2-litre PureTech engine you've mentioned. The EAT6 automatic gearbox is very good, too - with fast changes and a reputation for reliability.