Is it safe to share a VIN number with a potential buyer?

I'm selling a vehicle privately and have an interested buyer who is asking for the chassis number in order to complete some checks before purchase. Is it safe to share this number? No money has exchanged hands yet. Thank you.

Asked on 20 May 2020 by Jed Bartley

It's safe to share the VIN. It's on the V5C logbook and also on public display on your car's windscreen. The buyer probably wants to check the car's history, which is a reasonable request to make. For all of our car selling advice, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-sell-your-car