Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

Why isn't using touchscreens in cars illegal?

If it is against the law to use your phone while driving, except hands-free, then surely using computer touchscreens to operate car systems and even to make phone calls must also be illegal.

Asked on 12 May 2020 by Adrian Kendrick

Drivers can still be charged with careless driving, dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention if the police believe that anything - including messing about with a car's infotainment system - affected their standard of driving. As for the legality aspect, it would be too hard to implement a ban on touching an infotainment system given that so many cars have the technology installed and it's often used to control everything from aircon to seat positioning.