Why don't emergency services use UK-built vehicles?

Why do police, NHS and Fire Brigade use BMW cars instead of UK-assembled cars like those built at Sunderland Nissan? They should have a policy of supporting local business.

Asked on 1 May 2020 by michaelcarroll

Vauxhall is the UK's biggest supplier of police cars with a huge plant in Luton converting Corsa, Astra and Insignia models (amongst others). For high-performance use, BMWs are used because they have the performance required and have proved to be reliable in demanding conditions. This impressive reliability combined with low servicing costs and no doubt very impressive lease deals will mean the whole-life costs of a BMW police car will be cheaper than other makes, saving taxpayers' money.
Tags: police