Can I manually disable an electronic handbrake?

I have a Toyota Corolla and I'm trying to find out if it's possible to park up without the electronic handbrake engaging. With current lockdown in place, it's parked up in my garage for longer periods than normal and I have read where you advise not to leave the handbrake on to prevent the brakes locking. I have tried leaving the car in gear with handbrake off and then turning off the ignition but handbrake still engages automatically so I am at a loss what to do now.

Asked on 30 April 2020 by Chris Maycock

When we asked Toyota, it told us: "If the customer holds the parking brake switch down whilst turning off the car, the parking brake will stay off.