Do motorbike engines need warming up before setting off?

In the past, you have said that cars should just be started and then driven. But every time I buy a motorbike, the advice is to let it warm up. Are motorbikes different?

Asked on 14 April 2020 by James Whitehead

It depends on how old the motorcycle is. Or, more accurately, the age of the engine. If it’s a new bike, it really only requires a few seconds to warm up. You really don't want to be idling a modern bike longer than necessary or revving them hard before pulling off though, you can cause long-term wear and damage to components by doing that. However, older bikes do need a bit of warming up.
Tags: motorbikes