Can someone park over a dropped kerb outside their own house?

Is it an offence to park over a dropped kerb? My neighbours across the road say they are having the kerb lowered so they are guaranteed a parking spot because they have no driveway. They are under the impression that it's there private parking spot when they've paid to have the curb dropped.

Asked on 9 April 2020 by Martin Jardine

The Highway Code's Rule 243 states that you should 'not stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles, or where it would obstruct cyclists except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.'

Parking a vehicle fully or partially across a dropped kerb is classed as an obstruction and either the police or local council can enforce the contravention. Based on the resources a particular authority has in dealing with this, attention will usually be focussed on offences that impede those with disabilities.

As you note, you can be issued a PCN for parking across your own dropped kerb. However, to avoid this happening, residents may contact the local council with the make, model, registration of their vehicle and confirmation that you reside at the property. This tends to stop penalties being issued. Your neighbours may have done this, or plan to.