Can you recommend a petrol crossover or SUV with some guts to get me up the hills where I live?

I bought a 2010 Honda CR-V last year. This was my first purchase after many years of loaning a car. However, I’m a single mum and only do short school runs and a 20 minute country lane drives to work. I motorway drive maybe three times a month and then rarely over 30 minutes. You can guess what I’m going to say next. The Honda has been a nightmare with the DPF. So I want to change my vehicle but feel bruised by my last experience. My requirements are five doors, a boot I can fit a dog cage in, and sticks to the road as the country lanes around where I live can be muddy, icy and prone to pot holes. I'd prefer manual and a bit of guts to get me up the hills. Should I stick to petrol? My budget is a max of £13,000. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Asked on 5 March 2020 by Tracey V

Yes, sticking to petrol is a good idea. I'd recommend a Kia Sportage. Your budget will get a 2016 or 2017 example with the remainder of its seven-year manufacturer warranty remaining. Unfortunately your budget won't get a turbocharged GDI-T model and you might find the naturally-aspirated petrol engine a bit lacking, so take one for a test drive before committing. Alternatively, a SEAT Ateca with the 1.0-litre TSI engine would be a very good option.