What's the best way to tackle a steep incline in a 4WD?

I have a Mitsubishi L200. There is no 'hill descent' facility on this vehicle. To avoid excessive brake wear, would you suggest I select 'Sport Mode' and hold it in a low gear (if that is possible) or select 4L and creep down the gradient. Do the manufacturers have a recommended procedure for this operation?

Asked on 26 February 2020 by Tony Wharton

This is a very difficult question to answer, as it will ultimately depend on the off-road conditions. Yes, 4L is designed for inclines, by engaging both the front and rear wheels in the low-range and increasing engine braking. 4L is not designed for on-road use (it locks the wheels and limits the vehicle's agility. And you should not use the brakes on sharp and slippery inclines.

If you do plan to take your L200 off-road regularly, it might be an idea to get some specialist driving lessons. This will allow you to make the most of the L200 and its excellent 4x4 system. It will also ensure you stay safe when tackling really challenging conditions.