Can I keep the issued registration number on a car when I sell it?

I'm considering purchasing a car with an interesting number plate (to me). It's not a private or cherished number, but the original plate from new. When I come to sell the car, I'm aware that I can apply for a new reg number, but can I keep and reuse the original plate if I don't actually own it?

Asked on 13 February 2020 by martin tonbridge

Yes, you can apply to retain the registration. You will need to fill in a V317 form to transfer it to another vehicle or keep it on a retention document (for up to 10 years). The fee is usually £80.