Cat conversion

I have owned my 2003 Jaguar XJ6 3.0 petrol auto for 5 relatively trouble free years and I am pleased with the car. It is not expensive to run (average 30mpg on Shell V Power) and I receive exceptional service from Rybrook Jaguar. I drive about 9,000 miles a year on shortish journeys, although never less than 5 miles (as you advise) even if I have to go the long way around. Do you think I should keep the XJ, or change now for a newer similar or smaller car, although I think I would miss the cars performance, comfort and style if I did change. I have read your FAQ's re: Petrol vs. Diesel and I think if I do change I should go with petrol, would you agree? I would like to stay with Jaguar and like the XF but have been told it would be foolish to buy anything but a diesel in this model. What do you think?

Asked on 24 April 2010 by J.A., Merseyside

Jaguar has just introduced an XF 3.0V6 at the bargain basement price of £29,900, though the spec is anything but bargain basement, with colour satnav, leather, etc., etc. Some details here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1169