Is a budget of £4000 enough to get a good first car for our son?

My son is currently taking driving lessons and is ready to drive a non-dual control car. We intend buying a Ford Fiesta for him circa £4K. Which model and mileage would you recommend to avoid significant major service and insurance costs? Would it be better financially in the long run to spend a little bit more?

Asked on 8 April 2019 by James

A figure of £4000 is more than enough for a first car - it will be new enough to be safe, but old enough for you not to be too precious about! Look for a Fiesta with the 1.25-litre petrol - it should be more reliable than the EcoBoost and should be very cheap to run. Concentrate on condition and service history rather than mileage.