What's the best large petrol second-hand car for £12,000?

I'm looking at buying a second-hand car after years of buying new and getting fed up of the depreciation. My budget will be £12000. My only requirement is an automatic and I think petrol would be my preferred choice due to a reasonably short commute (around 5 miles). I would like something that is reliable with reasonable performance v economy. I wold also like something with a reasonable level of features (e.g. cruise control, heated seats etc). All wheel drive is desirable but not essential. What would you recommend?

I think you're right to be looking at a petrol car for your commute. My choice would be a Skoda Superb - but the biggest challenge you'll have is finding a petrol one as most are diesel. A Mazda 6 could be another good option. It's got a very pleasant interior and the petrols are very reliable.