Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Personal injury claim companies keep contacting me after an accident - where are they getting my details from?

Some very minor damage occurred to my wing while my car was parked on the road. The dash cam caught everything and the errant driver owned-up and elected to settle via her insurance. Direct Line were the issuer and the claim was not complicated - the repair and hire-car process has been handled by Direct Line and I have no complaints.

Having completed the repair, I have now had five separate claims-companies call me (some several times) - they all provide vague company names and make various claims to be working for the insurer or the industry to make sure my car repair was satisfactory and to confirm if my personal injury claim has been submitted? As I was not in the car at the time - a personal injury claim would be fraud. Where are these companies getting my contact details from? One claimed that there is a government register for accidents?

Asked on 2 July 2018 by GeoffJ

Answered by Tim Kelly
This should now stop as a result of the 2018 criminal bill reforms , it will be against the law for them to contact you when it comes into force. It is also against GDPR. Your details go on to CUE - the insurers underwriting database, but should not be accessed by any other party other than those involved in the claim.
You can request under GDPR to have your details removed now there is no lawful need for them to be registered, Contact Direct Line and request they do. it should make for an interesting conversation.

It could also be that the details are on the Motor insurance anti theft and fraud Register, MIAFTA, and then there is the Ministry of justice (MOJ) portal which is also used, and on which solicitors and Claims management companies must log your details for personal injury claims.
Next time they call, request the full name of the company, their Claims Management reference number, Solicitors regulatory Authority (SRA) number, and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) reference number, then report to the relevant body they are registered with.
Similar questions
A theoretical question, if roof a tile falls off a neighbour's roof, say during a storm, and damaged my car (parked on my drive), who is liable? Would it be the neighbour's house insurance or my car insurance?
Trying to get through a narrow gap to get off a garage forecourt, I scraped my car against the bumper of a large lorry. No damage at all to the lorries bumper, but I have a slight depression in the rear...
My car was written-off a few weeks ago. The other person has admitted liability and their insurer has agreed to payout. Can you tell me how they will calculate the pay-out price?

Value my car