Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - Mikem3

I have had this car for several years and the Tyre Pressure

indicator hasn't worked for most of them.

After its last MOT I was told that it will fail the next one because

of this.

I checked with Renault about this and asked if they would disable

the Pressure sensor. The Foreman said that the new MOT rules are only

for new cars and that my one would pass, he also said that he didn't think

that the pressure sensor could be disabled.

When the problem first happened, I contacted the Dealer where I bought

the car and was told that this function usually fails after a couple of years

and that most owners have it switched off, they would do this for £45.

As I live 200+ miles away, I have never been back in that area to get it done.

So the question is:-

Will my 55 plated car pass the MOT?

Where in the London area can I get the function switched off?

Thank you for any replies.

Mike.

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - Auristocrat

Quote from the MOT section on Directgov.uk:

Tyres and wheels

Condition, security, tyre size and type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected. Note: vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 - check of the MIL for tyre pressure monitoring.

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - unthrottled

Tyre pressure monitering. Seriously? Does the infantisation of driving never cease?

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - madf

Tyre pressure monitering. Seriously? Does the infantisation of driving never cease?

As there are people who never check anything....

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - daveyjp
I have it, first time was great. It went off and the screw head could be seen, pressure drop wasn't great, but it worked.

Second time I drove 50m, realised something wasn't right, pulled into fuel station and the tyre was flat. The warning went off after it was fixed!
Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - Fernando P

The Laguna II has a pressure sensor airvalve in each wheel. The sender is individually powered by a sealed in for life flat thin circular battery which lasts for 8 -10 years - maybe more if you are lucky. New and used replacements can be found on E-B.y and the former were £25 each last time I looked. Of course the tyre has to be removed to easily change the sensor and the vehicle "computer" has to be programmed (for all 4) when a new one is introduced otherwise an annoying warning will appear on the screen. The programming costs ~£40 to carry out. I find that the sensors are useful and work well. When progammed in, the sensors, which are coloured coded, must remain in the same wheel position. I do not know if they can be disabled but imagine it is possible to do so.

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - Mikem3

Thank you all for your replies.

I couldn't find the new MOT test anywhere to read it.

I can now get the testers to study their copy.

Mike.

Renault Laguna SPT - New MOT - Happy Blue!

My S-Max has the same system as the Laguna II. I use it as a useful check every few days. Its not a substitute for real checking, but gives an indication of problems arising during a long drive, as you may not spot a slow puncture on the move.