Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - S1lver

Hi!

Kindly help to identify the cause of the engine noise by reviewing the below youtube clip. The car drives fine without any power loss.

I will appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bdXyESoTRo8

Edited by S1lver on 08/04/2012 at 00:44

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - Peter D

What noise exactly. Regards Peter

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - Peter.N.

That was my thought initially but for a modern engine it does sound a bit 'tappity' but as I don't know what it sounded like before I can't really help.

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - gordonbennet

It sounds like a clattery Diesel to me, not unusual, most tractor engines sound rough with the sound deadening (bonnet) removed -:)

Does the noise subdue after an oil change?

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - balleballe

I had the same issue. Some 'mechanic' though it was engine knock - he was clearly wrong - and he worked for mazda!

Another chap thought it was tappets - plausible as it's from the top end of the engine - but this was not the case

Is it by any chance a lot worse when the engine is warm?

If it is - it is the 'butterly flaps' in your manifold. Their job is to regulate airflow and reduce emissions until a certain rev point.

Mazda use a plastic manifold and the only option you have is to replace the entire manifold.

It will do no harm to the engine at all - just slightly lower MPG (it decreased mine by around 5%)

Take it to a garage and ask them to see if the noise is from the manifold

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - S1lver

Thanks a lot for your all replies, specially to balleballe for a detailed reply. A normal same engine will more likely sound as in the following clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ObdhZ5X7wM#!

Edited by S1lver on 08/04/2012 at 13:08

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - skidpan

As balleballe says take it to a garage. Diagnosing engine noises on a forum is a total waste of time. Add to that any 10 year old car will have the odd noise.

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - Peter.N.

The second recording helps a lot, that's what I would expect a modern common rail engine to sound like. Your engine is indeed clattery but no worse than the average IDI . I would think the cost of investigating it would probably be more than the car is worth and it doesn't sound in danger of immediate failure so I would leave it be.

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - jazzyman

I have a very similar problem. I find that it is worse first thing in the morning when the engine is cold. But some days it's fine even on a cold day.

Soon as the engine gets warm the noise dissapears..just wodering if you have the same symptoms?

Mazda 6 Diesel 2002 - Engine Noise - balleballe

Any competant garage can diagnose the location of the sound,

If you normally get your car serviced from a specific garage - they will probably do it for free as it's a 5-10 minute job in reality.

My money is on the manifold