Bike storage - 3 months off road - Ed V

My son's 2010 Triumph will be sitting around this summer while he's away [working - natch]. Ought we to disconnect and store the battery and maybe raise it off the tyres, or must I simply use it up and down the road every week to keep it alive?

Bike storage - 3 months off road - bathtub tom

I don't know if disconnecting the battery's a good idea, it may have sophisticated electronics. If it's not being used it may be better to trickle charge the battery every now and then.

The worst thing you can do is give it a regular short run, take it for a long one.

Bike storage - 3 months off road - V4 Heaven

Hi,

If his bike has an alarm, it is well worth fitting a trickle charger. My bike has one and the lead to the battery can be tucked away when riding then pulled out and plugged into the trickle charger when in the garage.

If you can raise the bike, this would be handy but if not, over inflate the tyres by 5-10 psi to prevent flat spots and leave on its stand.

I do this every winter with mine (it's stored for 5-6 months) and it doesn't cause any problems.

Or alternatively, go for a spin every couple of weeks and enjoy it!

Bike storage - 3 months off road - craig-pd130

As said, put the battery on a trickle charge inbetween usage and don't be tempted to fire it up for just a couple of minutes, that causes loads of condensation in the exhaust and emulsifies the oil.

If you do run the engine, make sure you ride at least 10-15 miles to get everything good & warmed through.

3 months isn't very long in the summer months, you can just leave it providing you put an extra few PSI in the tyres and keep the battery charged.

Bike storage - 3 months off road - bluezzr1100

other replies all good advice-A longish run getting up to normal op temperature once a month should be enough-short runs will cause condensation in the crankcase and the exhaust-not good

Battery should be ok- give it 300mA for a few hours each month to be sure

Being fuel injected it will not be so easy to drain the fuel. Old fuel can cause gummed carbs and stuck floats but you don't have those here so just run as above and all should be well