Dodgy Car Dealers - Rashid

Now, before I upset anyone, I'm talklng about 'Dodgy Car Dealers' not Car Dealers per se.

As I currently have the pleasure (displeasure) of looking for a used car, I have been staggered by the lack of service, and total apathy.

I have around £5k to spend, not small change in my mind, but when calling up about cars, or visiting car lots, I've been greeted by; Rudeness, (although at least they acknowledged by presence, some couldn't even manage that) Lies, (those aren't bald tyres sir, they're fine, no the cars supposed to veer to the left) to the classic trying to duck out of their responsibilities with, 'I'm selling this to you as trade, therefore you get no warranty whatsoever', perhaps if they were offering a trade price I wouldn't mind!

I just can't believe that people buy from them, do they really?

I've had better service buying chewing gum!

My philosophy is when someone makes life so difficult when you're trying to buy something from them, imagine what they're going to be like if you ever have a problem.

I'd actually like to call trading standards on a load of them, but just feel that i'd be wasting my time.

I would like to add that I did come across some excellent dealers, generally they were main brand dealers but there were a few small dealerships, sadly though they were in the minority.

I realise they must get timewasters, or to put it another way, customers who haven't yet made up there mind, but I was truly shocked by the service, sorry, I can't even use that word.

Perhaps this is more prevalent in London??

Once again, please don't take offence if you sell cars for a living, unless you're one of the eejit's that I came across, in which case, may the dung of a thousand camels fall on you head :)

Dodgy Car Dealers - balleballe

AFAIK I was always told that modern cars are designed to veer to the left slightly - so in the event you fall asleep, it's not into on-coming traffic

Dodgy Car Dealers - unthrottled

If the worn tyres are reflected in the price, then there is no problem (although they must be road legal). I'd be more concerned by dealers that are too ingratiating and keen to sell me something...

You're looking at older cars and expecting everything to be in condition A1.

Dodgy Car Dealers - jamie745

Theres nothing wrong with expecting everything to be fit for purpose and in good condition. The excuse of 'well its old' (when its not, its about 5 years old) is one from dealers which always annoys me and one i made sure i never used when i sold cars.

I can accept an argument of 'dont expect too much' when dealing with £400 cars, although it should still be road legal. But for £5,000 you have every right to expect good cars and decent service. We're not dealing with scrapheaps here, these are reasonably new cars not long out of manufacturer warranty etc, to have illegal tyres on a £5k car is unacceptable.

Illegal tyres are totally unacceptable. But it's quite rare for a car to have four new premium tyres on.

If the car veers to the left-walk away.

There's always another car round the corner. But the friendly dealer who chases after you with a last minute sweetener as you stroll out of the forecourt probably doesn't have your interests at heart.

The tyres thing annoyed because he made out that they were fine, when they blatantly weren't, had he said that's reflective in the price, fair enough.

I don't mind a 'friendly dealer' chasing after me, I realise they want to maximise their profits, and if i've done my research then i'll know how much to pay. + at least they're making an effort, they want to sell. Honestly the dealers i've been coming across have been awful, hardly an ounce of effort, & they make Arthur Daley look like a saint.

'I can accept an argument of 'dont expect too much' when dealing with £400 cars, although it should still be road legal. But for £5,000 you have every right to expect good cars and decent service. We're not dealing with scrapheaps here, these are reasonably new cars not long out of manufacturer warranty etc, to have illegal tyres on a £5k car is unacceptable.'

Exactly, I agree totally

I feel all customers want is straight answers and a straight car. They want the advert to be informative and accurate. They want to know if the car is still there, what the tax/mot/mileage/service history is etc and when they see the car they want the salesman to offer them a cup of tea/coffee, to unlock the car and sod off for a few minutes. That was always my tactic, i left people alone with the car for a few minutes so as they didnt feel under any pressure but was always closeby if they wanted to ask a question. They'll decide in this few minutes if they're interested.

They'll want to take it out for a drive, if they're still happy they'll want to do a deal on a fair price. Usually offering customers a 12 month MOT and delivery of the car seals it if they want it.

Illegal tyres are totally unacceptable. But it's quite rare for a car to have four new premium tyres on.

True, when i got cars in with poor tyres i'd get them changed to pass an MOT but only with the cheapest most bog standard far eastern manufactured rubber available.

Dodgy Car Dealers - Buster Cambelt

Rashid,

this type of complacency seems to exist throughout the market (and indeed in a lot of other sales organisations). I've been looking to spend c£35k on a new car for a couple of months now (i.e. when the showrooms were at their most quiet) and the service has been abysmal. I don't expect anyone to kow tow but a basic knowledge of the product, being left alone for a few minutes to look and think (you can skip the coffee) are, surely, basics?

It seems to be endemic. Too many 'sales' people are simply order takers, got complacent before the recession and now don't know how to do a good sales job. We also seem to have too many 'businesses' that are about extorting as much money from customers as quickly as possible rather than being in it ofr the long term.

Dodgy Car Dealers - tony g
Hi rashid,
I've been a car dealer for many years ,it's always disappointing to hear that a potential buyer is not treated with at least interest when he ventures into the lions den.
Having spent a fortune on advertising, usually a £1000 a month for an auto trader website ,it's difficult to understand why any dealer wouldn't prepare the cars properly and then want to spend time encouraging you to buy.

To look at it from the dealers side,to some extent I can understand why sales people treat potential buyers like they do.Car sales staff almost never receive any training,They work long unsociable hours , the money's not that great.

Can you imagine how it feels to have had a working week of 55 hours plus ,it's been raining all day you have had no customers ,the time is 7 pm ,you're closing up ,then at 6.55 some body wanders on the pitch wand wants to talk about buying a car ,maybe .I don't think I could work up much enthusiasm.

The other major problem that car dealers have is profit or a lack of it.
One of the major causes of the poor profitability in the car trade is the Internet.

Sites such as auto trader are organised in such a way that if you want to buy a particular used car , with a particular mileage and a particular age .The websites offer them with the lowest price first.

From a dealers perspective that means if the price you're offering doesn't put your car on the first two pages of an auto trader search ,you don't get any enquiries.
It leads to a situation where the asking price is the only issue ,service ,warranty,reputation . Now all count for very little.

Dealers are locked into an ever downward spiral of profit .

As an example look at the margin of profit that the large dealer groups generate.

Their annual accounts show less profit than the large Supermarket groups.

A 1% profit on turnover is the norm.

Perhaps the car buyer public is getting the car dealers It deserves.

Tony g

Hi rashid ,
Sorry forgot to comment ,it's commonplace for cars to veer slightly to the left.

If everything else is ok ,tyre pressures ,tracking etc . The cause is the road camber that allows for rainwater to drain into the nearside gulley.

Ive always found it to be worst with the larger ,wider tyres,such as the 60 series .
A good way to check is to find a very quiet road ,preferably on an industrial estate or similar, and drive on the wrong side of the road ,

Take the car up to 30 mph and let go of the steering wheel ,if the car drifts to the right ,instead of the left ,then it's the road camber at fault.

Regards

Tony g

Another pet rant, why does the Internet always give me the cheapest places I can buy things rather than the best? And, of course, with used cars cheapest is invariably not best - that cast iron warranty, good preparation, ensuring the car is shod with decent tyres rather than Chinese banana skins, not doing just enough to scrape an MoT pass, etc, it all costs money so the folks who do it right end up on page 96 of the search engine....

In both my business activity and personal life I ALWAYS try to deal with local companies, even if they are slightly more expensive but I do expect good service and I take a lot of convincing to forgive poor service (but bear in mind even good companies experience problems, one mark of a good company is how it deals with complaints).

So I guess we are ending up with the retail sector we deserve. It's happening everywhere of course, a quarter of our business is fixing problems that cowboy companies have caused, quoting a cheap price and doing the bear minimum to get paid rather than a proper job. Half of our business is repeat business from folks we have done a proper job for. Like everyone else we've had to squeeze margins so profits are down and, like Tony, for me 55-60 hours a week is the norm but I simply won't compromise on doing right by my customers.

Hopefully there are some people out there in Carsalesland who feel the same way.

Dodgy Car Dealers - thunderbird

When the wife was swapping her car about 18 months ago I was totally stunned by the treatment we got from dealers. We had a max of £17,000 plus her old car to spend and identified a wide choice of cars, will try to keep it as short a rant as possible.

VW Passat or Golf Estate. Salesman in first garage said (he never bothered to stand up) try a different dealer, we dont have any of that model. So we tired a different dealer who wanted to take us a test drive in a new Scirocco, WHY???? Third dealer promised to ring us in a weeks time when he had the new demo, still waiting for call.

Toyota Verso or Avenis Tourer. First dealer lied to the wife about differences betwen 5 and 7 seat models. Arranged test drives with second dealer (I asked beforehand that we both wanted to drive over a decent route that included a piece of dual carraigeway, A road and town to which he agreed) but when we got there he said it was illegal for us to drive on motorways and he would decide where we went which was 2 miles each way.

Ford Focus Estate. Offered us good deal over phone but we only got a 2 mile test drive, disliked car anyway.

Hyundai ix35. Given keys and told to enjoy which we did. Turned out to be totally pointless since he had sold the last of his allocation the previous day, waiting list was estimated at 6 month and he would not discuss a deal.

Skoda Octavia Estate. Still waiting to hear from first dealer when car will be available. Second dealer just gave us the keys and said see you shortly. Car fine but wife had trouble with driving position which was a shame because it was a good experience and we liked the car. Never got as far as trying to sort a deal.

Kia Ceed SW. Turned up at garage we had never visted before after arranging test drive on the phone. Car exact model we were looking for and salesman gave us the keys and said see you in a couple of hours. Gave it a good test and both liked it. When we got back asked for some details, he had sorted it while we were out, £12,000 to swap, 8 to 12 weeks delivery, price to swap fixed regardless of any price changes in our car or rises in the new one. All agreed there and then. He never asked for a deposit and we never signed an order. 8 weeks later we got a call to say car was in, picked it up a week after that. Our car dropped about £300 according to Parkers and the new one went up £350, think we did OK. Its no surprise to me that there are so many Kia's locally.

Guess who could well be getting my business when I change cars?

Edited by thunderbird on 15/01/2012 at 14:42

Dodgy Car Dealers - Pat L

Great post, thunderbird. The times I have been shopping for new cars have been a very disappointing experience. The levels of arrogance, apathy and downright disinterest I have encountered beggar belief. Yet this only seems to exist in car sales, you don't experience this on the same scale in other areas of trade. Why is this?

What I do now is research on the net, try out at a main dealer, and then order through drivethedeal.

There are some good dealers out there still. Couple of years ago when i ended up buying my 406 HDi i went to Leigh-On-Sea in Essex. Anybody who's been there will know what i mean when i describe London Road as the Vegas of Car Sales. I counted 47 used car dealers and 17 main dealerships all on one road. The first place i went to was pretty dreadful, the car had all sorts of warning lights on (including brake warnings) and was in poor condition compared to the claim in his advert, so i passed on it and he rung me up two hours later asking why. However the next one i went to had an excellent young bloke for whom selling cars wasnt his day job, he was 'looking after the place' while Dad was away, he was nice to talk to, gave me info i wanted, let me drive the car for as long as i needed, pointed out a local place to have a bite to eat while i mull it over and i ended up buying it. Top car and a top place.

I think the fact it was family run - so no quota's, dealer targets etc - made the difference. Not to mention the sheer level of competition locally. Ive also bought a car in London for £600 off a used dealer who put a new MOT on it and delivered it 80+ miles to my house the following week.

Edited by jamie745 on 15/01/2012 at 17:19

Dodgy Car Dealers - Galad

Visited my local VAG dealer last Saturday morning interested in a new Passat with a budget of £16k plus my trade-in. Receptionist told me that the sales staff were in a 'team meeting' and could I come back in an hour. Went elsewhere and got a really good deal on a top of the range Toyota Avensis from the next door dealership.

Lesson learned - all of the expensive advertising (eg in today's Sunday newspapers-does it cost £15k a page?) begging us to come into the showrooms is pointless when a potential customer goes to all the trouble of visiting the showroom only to be fobbed off with a 'come back later' line. Incidentally, on my way out of the showroom I noticed the 'suits' sitting around a table sipping coffee and probably evaluating last night's episode of the moron's favourite show Big Brother, obviously not interested in actually selling cars. Mr VAG are you reading this? God help us that you're open for business whenever the customer is around.................

Dodgy Car Dealers - oldroverboy

Receptionist told me that the sales staff were in a 'team meeting' and could I come back in an hour. Went elsewhere and got a really good deal............

this happened to me too a couple of years ago, went to a large dealers in south wales, wales playing france at rugby, tv on in the showroom, all the car sales gathered around it...drove to another family owned dealership 30 miles away, friendly salesman, would you like coffee, (fresh filter) we saw the car we wanted on display outside as we approached the dealer, still under manufacturers warranty and bought on the spot. didn't want a deposit, pay when you collect next friday sir.. And the car fully serviced, valeted and a payment deducted fot the price of the missing key on the one we bought! Am I allowed to say well done james & jenkins llandaff?

Edited by OldRoverboy on 16/01/2012 at 06:47

Dodgy Car Dealers - balleballe
The other major problem that car dealers have is profit or a lack of it. One of the major causes of the poor profitability in the car trade is the Internet. Sites such as auto trader are organised in such a way that if you want to buy a particular used car , with a particular mileage and a particular age .

The websites offer them with the lowest price first. From a dealers perspective that means if the price you're offering doesn't put your car on the first two pages of an auto trader search ,you don't get any enquiries. It leads to a situation where the asking price is the only issue ,service ,warranty,reputation . Now all count for very little. Dealers are locked into an ever downward spiral of profit . As an example look at the margin of profit that the large dealer groups generate.

Their annual accounts show less profit than the large Supermarket groups. A 1% profit on turnover is the norm. Perhaps the car buyer public is getting the car dealers It deserves. Tony g

It does indeed seem to be this way unfortunantly. Price attracts me, but service history, service and reputation insures I buy. I dont care about the warranty, as dealer warranties generally aren't worth the paper they're written on anyway

Dodgy Car Dealers - meldrew

Buyinf a £5000 car is a minefield. I had a similar challenge to find a small commuting car for my daughter in law. We travelled miles and got crosseyed on the internet. Nothing that would not have been highish in even basis maintenance. Probably the best deal would have been from a private seller but we did not really have the time.

Final result - A basic new Ford Ka, three years warranty, decent new tyres and £30 a year road tax. All for £1995 more and the car will be worth rather more than a six or seven year old vehicle in three years time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was beginning to get a complex.

I remember when I bought my Disco 3, £19k, I travelled up to somewhere like Darlington, no meet at station, ok, fair enough, but perhaps a coffee in the dealership would have been nice, or perhaps the car being as you advertised? What really got my goat, was when the dealer complained that he wouldn't bother selling such high mileage vehicles in the future because it was too much hassle. The hassle being the fact that I complained about the car not being as he described, as I said to him, if the car had done 10k and you misdescribed it, I wouldn't be happy. It was a real bonus however, that he made me feel cheap for buying a car with high miles, thanks for that.

'We also seem to have too many 'businesses' that are about extorting as much money from customers as quickly as possible rather than being in it ofr the long term.'

I agree, but I find it bizarre that as a generalisation poor service seems to permeate at all price levels. Price is important but very closely followed by service.

'Can you imagine how it feels to have had a working week of 55 hours plus ,it's been raining all day you have had no customers ,the time is 7 pm ,you're closing up ,then at 6.55 some body wanders on the pitch wand wants to talk about buying a car ,maybe .I don't think I could work up much enthusiasm.'

Tony G, I hear what you're saying, and in those circumstances I could agree, but I'm not even talking about enthusiasm, I'm talking the most basic of skills, ''hello''? that's always a good start, ''do you need any help?'' It's not rocket science.

The other issue that really narks me, and i've had this a few times over the years, you can test drive it, but only if you're going to buy it! What?, sorry? only if I agree to buy it first, yeah sure, sounds good, I tell you what, how about you take my money and keep the car, does that work for you in your crazy warped world? (Sorry people, it still makes my blood boil)

'Dealers are locked into an ever downward spiral of profit .'

Do you think so? I guess you would know. I've always felt slightly ripped off when dealing with dealers. Again, I'm generalising, but when I've gone to a few local garages, the cars they sell are always at least a grand or 2 above my researched valuation. When I try and sell to them, (not often, 3 cars in last 10yrs) they offer again, at least a grand or two under my researched price. I know they need to make a profit, and market fluctuations and such, but my local dealers seem to work on at least a £2k profit margin. Like Buster Cambelt, I do prefer supporting local business, but when th eprice is just too high, I can't justify it. + in my case the local ones aren't great, although better than the ones I mentioned in my initial post. (heck my 7yr old daughter could sell cars better than them, alot better!)

I think that now I am better equipped to sort the wheat from the chaff over the phone, and not waste my time travelling.

Ps. Tony G, thanks for the tip, appreciate it.

Dodgy Car Dealers - daveyjp

My car buying experiences have led me to the conclusion that most salesman must sell to fools most of the time who simply accept what they are told and shown and sign on the dotted line.

Toyota Aygo experience - a used one, only just over 12 months old, but 23,000 miles on the clock. Reg suggested an ex HQ car. Drove 30 miles to see it. Three of four tyres only just road legal, the other slightly better. Front brakes totally shot.

Sat down to try and buy it and highlighted the faults. Two tyres would be changed, one would be swapped with the spare. The brakes looked OK for another 3 months so no chance of them being changed. Questioned the price, out came the guide. Told him this was for average mileages and 23,000 was much more than average. Told me it was a Sport model so no chance of any negotiation. We walked and no doubt some rich old dear from York ended up buying it without looking closely.

Then went to a local dealer to ask about a new one - OTR price didn't match what I was expecting. Main dealer system automatically adds GAP, Diamondbrite and other various insurances which add £750 to OTR price. Questioned this and was advised they 'had' to do this under FSA regulations - took 15 minutes for him to get the basic OTR price, by which time we were bored and left the showroom.

We then found drivethedeal and bought online. Far easier.

Edited by daveyjp on 16/01/2012 at 10:19

Dodgy Car Dealers - Paul G1pdc

bought my last car 5 months ago.

lots of time on the phone/internet first, rang one main dealer and asked (as it was 120 miles from home) about the service history and warrenty, tyres etc. I was spending 7.5k and looking at 3-4 year old cars....The saleman said that all the documentation was in the car. I also asked about the depth of tread left on the tyres.....his reply was....the cars outside and its raining.....you'll have to come and have a look yourself......oh hum...i didn't bother with that one......

then talked to another main dealer,,,same model car,,,,to be told it was amazing condition etc, drove 65miles with 2 young children and wife in tow,,,only to be shown a 23k car with holes in the drivers carpet and missing towing eye covers, non working electric mirror and 1 tyre that would have been iligal by the time I had driven home, and a rear bumper that didn't line up correctly with the boot lid...

then rang a car dealer on the side of a petrol station that we had crossed off the list as his prices where only £300 than the main dealers....talked to him on the phone,,,yeh yeh its great condition etc....anyway ummed and erred about driving another 60miles in yet another direction.....but went anyway....same model and even the same colour as the one we had just seen.,....no holes, everything worked,,,all the paperwork was correct and even the warrenty was decent....ok no flash saleroom, they had 30cars at the side of a BP station.....but treated well, coffee and a chat....car was bought.....and 7k later running well.....

(Do you think so? I guess you would know.  I've always felt slightly ripped off when dealing with dealers. Again, I'm generalising, but when I've gone to a few local garages, the cars they sell are always at least a grand or 2 more than my researched price.)

Hi rashid ,I'm not sure where you do your research to establish the retail selling price of a car,personally I don't use glasses guide ,parkers or the like.

Before I buy a car or take a car in part exchange I look on auto trader to see what would be a competitive retail price for the car,I then work out the margin I need to cover vat ,preparation ,profit ,advertising ,and deduct that from the auto trader retail price .I'm surprised more dealers don't do the same.

As to the actual profit ,it's possible that £2000 ,could be the profit on a £10k used
Retail car,but that's the gross profit,

The largest cost for used car retailing is advertising ,the minimum cost for an auto trader website ,is £500 ,that's for just 7 cars.most dealers will be spending £1000 a month.

Then theirs vat ,dealers aren't allowed to claim back the vat on any purchases .

.They do pay vat on any profit they make,that's equivalent to about 18% of any profit retained.Add in the cost of premises to work from ,staff wages,car trade
insurance etc.
That superb sounding £2000 profit will be reduced to a £300 retained profit .That £300 will go to the guy who has probably put his house up as security against a loan, for capital to run the business.

The above paragraphs explain why their has been no new major dealership groups set up in the Uk in the last ten years. All that happens is existing groups consolidate and merge ,or cease trading .

If you look at the 2010 figures for Arnold Clark the fourth largest car dealer group in the Uk they give an idea of how tiny the margins are in Uk car retailing.

Turnover 2010. 2.27 billion

Profit before tax. 50.5 million.

Not such a rosy picture now ?

Regards Tony g

Dodgy Car Dealers - Bobbin Threadbare

Main dealer system automatically adds GAP, Diamondbrite and other various insurances which add £750 to OTR price. Questioned this and was advised they 'had' to do this under FSA regulations - took 15 minutes for him to get the basic OTR price, by which time we were bored and left the showroom.

Argh!! When we bought Mr Bobbin's Celica the dealer tried to get us to pay for Diamondbrite. When I pointed out that the bits of paper suggested that it had already been done, the chap in the dealership didn't know what to say! We refused everything else; what do you need to put on an already 5 year old Celica...? He wanted rid of it as well; it was a Renault dealership so the Celica will have been one of their p/x to clear cars. Test drive was about 3 minutes long. Rubbish. Just because we are second hand buyers doesn't mean it isn't still a big investment and decision!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 16/01/2012 at 14:52

Dodgy Car Dealers - bonzo dog

the dealer tried to get us to pay for Diamondbrite. ........... on an already 5 year old Celica

Now this one makes me smile:)

You've got to admit that the salesman was at least trying to do his job!

Dodgy Car Dealers - Bobbin Threadbare

He had Mr B about to agree!! Luckily I was there to stop the nonsense!

'My car buying experiences have led me to the conclusion that most salesman must sell to fools most of the time who simply accept what they are told and shown and sign on the dotted line.'

Yup, that's the conclusion I've come to. How else could these dealers exist?

Tony G, my accounting sucks, but isn't a Pre Tax Profit of £50 Million good? I see your point that there are lots of hidden costs involved, and hands up, I haven't previously taken account of them, but we're still left with what feels like an overwhelming number of dealers who shouldn't be in the trade.

They're giving all dealers a bad name,

'My car buying experiences have led me to the conclusion that most salesman must sell to fools most of the time who simply accept what they are told and shown and sign on the dotted line.'

Yup, that's the conclusion I've come to. How else could these dealers exist?

Tony G, my accounting sucks, but isn't a Pre Tax Profit of £50 Million good? 

Rashid,

Reference your first paragraph,how many fools do you know ? .I don't know many ,and people certainly don't become foolish when they enter a car dealership .
Im sure their are poor sales people in the car trade ,just as their is in any trade

,As an example I bought an I pad last year,I tried all the likely national retailers . None of them could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of replacing a laptop with an I pad.a few salespeople made it up as they went along .useless.

Fortunately I found an apple shop in Leeds ,that gave me most of the info I needed.I bought from them .

Re your accounting sucks paragraph ,your right it does ,50 million would be a good profit ,if they hadnt had to turnover £2.27 billion to get there.

To put it in perspective if you owned a corner shop and you turned over £5000 in a week .
You would have earned £56 ,if you worked on the same margin as Arnold Clarke.

You wouldn't call it a profit before tax as clarkes do,because you wouldnt be making enough to pay tax.

Regards

Tony g

Re your accounting sucks paragraph ,your right it does ,50 million would be a good profit ,if they hadnt had to turnover £2.27 billion to get there.

Quite. I've never understood how some people have such difficulty putting a profit into context of the turnover. Every year supermarkets are lambasted for having the termerity to make a "record billion pound profit" on a turnover of perhaps £60 billion. Percentage wise, it is much smalller than any fairtrade farmers' market selling ethically sourced carrots.

Hi unthrottled,
Simple minded car salespeople,selling to foolish consumers.Making a tiny profit?

Selling carrots at a farmers market is starting to look a better proposition !

Regards

Tony g

Dodgy Car Dealers - VoiceOfReason

Having read some of what has been posted here, I totally agree.

The dealers seem to think they are doing us a favour....NO, we are looking to buy a car, which then pays your wages!

The experience I have had so far is shocking. Dealers not replying to emails or web questionaires. Dealers calling me to dicsuss cars and then never sending me any information over, expecting me to chase them! May I say so far I am really not impressed with Audi, and it has actually driven me away from buying one now! However some of the "deals" that I have been offered from other manufacturers (such as Honda) have been laughable too, with no room for movement.

All in all I do not know how these people make a living.

Hi,I'm not sure why dealers don't respond to general phone /questionnaire enquiries,although its always been so ,it was the same thirty years ago when I first started in the trade.

I do know, that if you ask for a part exchange price ,or a discount off your purchase .Most dealers will be reluctant to give that information ,especially over the phone or by fax.
My guess is that they would regard it as a waste of time,as you would simply use that information to prise a better deal from your local dealer or as price comparison with a different manufacturer.

If you wanted a more posative response from dealers , can I suggest that you do as much research on the Internet as possible.
Decide which car you want .Then go the dealer tell him you're intereted in their car,have a test drive,and negotiate a deal. The dealers will be keen to deal with you if you come across as a genuine buyer not a tyre kicker. I worked for Toyota ,mercedes,jaguar and Saab.

I got endless visits from potential buyers who hadn't a clue what they wanted ,and were reluctant to tell me what their budget was.
The response we got to a polite ,how can we help ,Was often, can I have a test drive,can I have a brochure,and can you tell me what my cars worth.No matter how pleasantly they asked ,we were always reluctant to waste an hour with them
,it meant we were not available when a genuine buyer came into the showroom to negotiate a deal.

As always theirs another side to the coin,I have a nice Audi a3 diesel for sale ,I had a phone enquiry on the car from a guy who lived 60 miles away,I gave him a price on his fiesta subject to seeing it ,he seemed happy with the price,We made an appointment for the following day.
He ring me twice more during the day to confirm a time and directions,each phone call took ten minutes of my time.
He didn't turn up,he didn't ring to apologise,I tried to ring him, his phone was switched off.
That happens a lot ,that's why car dealers can be cynical or seem disinterested when you make ,a just looking,but can I have, enquiry.

Regards

Tony g

Dodgy Car Dealers - madf

If I were a dealer, I would not bother. I would imagine about 50% of enquiries they get are from people who have no intention of buying..

How to identify the 50% is a different matter.

Most dealers think I am in that category.. They are usually correct - as I tell them upfront.

If I were a dealer, I would not bother. I would imagine about 50% of enquiries they get are from people who have no intention of buying.

How are you going to know that if you dont bother? And why would you not bother? You're at work to sell cars, do you have something else to do which prevents you sending an email?

Sales is like that I'm afraid, not everyone buys. Get used to it. I'm not a salesman but I sell and promote my company and what we can do every single day, loads of people don't buy. it doesn't make them all timewasters but I'm sure some are. There again, some aren't and they help me keep my business healthy.

If you have the product or idea to get through the door then people buy the person first and then the product. Sending an e-mail is not selling, in my book it's not even doing business.

Although the point about time-waters is a fair one, it is also double edged.

For instance take me as an example, I am a genuine buyer - I have to buy a larger car and have explained to dealers why. I have also been quite clear as to what I like and dislike about their models, and what I expect from them as a dealer. However, I have been messed about by them and not the other way round. Audi for instance are just aweful with communication. I sent 2 requests for a test drive and got no response after over a month. I sent a request to another dealer about a used car, and got a call a month later (probably only because he hadnt sold it), then when I asked him to send the details across he just didnt bother. At least with Honda they have got me in the showroom and bothered to talk, although the one that I have seen so far basically took the P and wasted my time.

IMHO dealerships need to pull their fingers out. Its part of the job to deal with timewaters as well as paying customers, so they should just get on with it. We all have frustrations in our jobs, but it doesnt mean we just dont bother. Some people wonder why they or their industry is struggling....maybe they should look closer to home.

V O R
You raise some interesting points ,you say you're disappointed in audis response.

Had you decided to buy an Audi or were you still fishing for information,you say you requested a test drive twice .Did you ring the local dealer and make an appointment to test drive a car.Or just do the lazy thing and fill in an online request.
If you had done your research, you would know if you wanted to negotiate a deal with Audi or Mercedes or Honda or whoever.
That's why don't get much of a response from car dealers ,they are looking for the genuine buyer who wants to negotiate a deal on a car they have to offer.

From your post you appear to have been looking for a car for two months ,the information on any car is readily available ,it should be easy to make a decision on what model in two weeks ,why two months?

You also enquired about a used a car ,the dealer didn't respond to your enquiry for more information ,what more did you need.The dealer advertised it ,you read his add ,everything else you require is available on the Internet.

(it's part of the job to deal with time wasters )

Only as long as it takes to move them on , Billy no mates who are lost for something to do ,prevent salespeople from giving time to genuine buyers .

Sales people are always under pressure to perform three months poor performance is all the time they get before they are sacked.

The reason the industry is struggling ,is the economy is struggling .

Record unemployment plus people in employment are reluctant to commit to a purchase ,they could be out of work next.

The Honda dealer that took the P ,did you ask why he was so far from the deal you wanted, or did you just walk away and grumble at home .perhaps he could have explained the basis of his offer.

If he was a long way from the price you wanted on your part exchange ,do you
Know what your cars trade value really is.
Look at what similar cars are retailing at on auto trader or e bay ,knocking a thousand off that will give you a realistic idea of your cars true trade value.
Guides like parkers and glasses just arent accurate enough.

Regards

Tony g

Only as long as it takes to move them on , Billy no mates who are lost for something to do

That's probably about 75% of people mooching round dealerships on a Saturday afternoon!

Two months to buy a car indeed. That's timewasting.

Dodgy Car Dealers - gordonbennet

I have a certain sympathy with some dealers, as we see here some people want their cake and eat it.

They want to go to a nice showroom, sit in and play with the cars on display, get optimistic offers for their present jalopy, be supplied with all of their whims all the information all the brochures, and no doubt test drive for hours any car that takes their fancy etc.

Then after all this they expect the same deal as they could get from an internet seller who provides...er...a website, if they don't get the same deal they buy from the internet.

Well carry on you lot, take the proverbial out of the good dealers, let them do all the work and then buy from the internet, or screw the dealer down till the pips squeak.....but remember when your car goes wrong 6 months out of warranty, your first point of call should be the internet site (fat lot of good that will do you), for if i was a dealer i would be simultaneously amused and insulted if you expected me to pull all the strings to sort it out for you.

There are bad dealers, usually selling cars from makers who couldn't give a stuff for their customers, and there are good dealers who do care about and wish to retain their customers and sell cars made by companies with similar views.

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

But that's how it's meant to work - some 60% of new car sales are to fleets or business users, virtually all of these have to get information and test drives from dealers but then go back to their fleet manager or leasing company and leave them to actually source the car. These are the "buyers" that the glass palaces are for.

So why can't private buyers get the same information and test drives and still be able to get competitive prices?

RT,
You're right about the company car brigade.
Sales reps would turn up ,usually unannounced, on a sat or Sunday ,which were our best selling days,
They usually wanted to see a particular car in a particular colour and test drive it.
They wanted a brochure and price list ,cost to the dealer about £7.and would waste an hour of a salesmans time with a test drive.

We had no chance of getting any business from the effort we put in ,simply because the company car buyer went back to his company fleet manager ,who placed the order through one of the huge contract hire companies ,such as Zenith who bought direct from the manufacturer.

Remember dealers for whatever manufacturer ,are not manufacturer owned.
They are independently owned.

Regards

Tony g
Dodgy Car Dealers - RT
RT, You're right about the company car brigade. Sales reps would turn up ,usually unannounced, on a sat or Sunday ,which were our best selling days, They usually wanted to see a particular car in a particular colour and test drive it. They wanted a brochure and price list ,cost to the dealer about £7.and would waste an hour of a salesmans time with a test drive. We had no chance of getting any business from the effort we put in ,simply because the company car buyer went back to his company fleet manager ,who placed the order through one of the huge contract hire companies ,such as Zenith who bought direct from the manufacturer. Remember dealers for whatever manufacturer ,are not manufacturer owned. They are independently owned. Regards Tony g

Tony g - the industry as a whole survives on that business model so why can't it be extended to private purchasers? Indeed there wouldn't be much of a secondhand business if there weren't a constant supply of 1/2/3 year old ex-lease cars and a mentality of changing cars frequently.

My understanding of car sales in mainland Europe is that there's a much higher % of private purchasers of new cars and they keep them much longer, typically 7 years I've seen quoted.

So why does the British car trade need this constant churn of cars - I guess the answer's obvious, so they get a slice of profit each time a car is sold during it's life rather than just once.

Tony g...

No I didnt decide 100% that I wanted to buy an Audi, and the reason for this is that the dealers I have been to have not had the model available to even look at. So That is why I contacted a couple via email and web based queries, simply because I knew they had none in to test drive at that exact time. So therfore as a potential customer I expect a call back even if its just a 2 minute courtesy call.

My research at first did push me to thinking I did want an Audi, but because of the lack of feedback that I was offered, I then decided to see what else was out there, as well as seeing the positive of saving some money of I bought a similar car from another manufacturer. If Audi moved quicker and more positively then I may have been more encouraged to go for one.

The one time I did speak to a human from Audi (and by now I gained some interest in the Honda), the salesline I got was that "we dont have to encourage people to buy our cars, because we are Audi and a premium badge". WOW that really impresses me, and I now am DESPERATE to buy one of your cars!! Thats the sought of weak and pathetic attitude I got.

As for was I looking for two months - no I wasnt looking for two months, I was thinking about what I was going to do and researching the options available - just like any sensible buyer would do. What do you want me to do, look a car up online and then say "Thats the one! I must have it!" ?? Im a sensible man who is also a very busy man, and only gets a couple of hours each weekend to do anything. So I like to know where I stand and actually see the car I may end up buying.

So as for the "was I just lazy" comment - no, im busy and live in an era when electronic communication is the norm...well at least in our world.

As for what my car is worth, YES I do have a fair idea of what its worth and what I should be offered. Im not stupid and the offer that I was given by a particular Honda dealer was disgusting and very lazy. Basically I worked out what his game was. He basically did a look-up on webuyanycar and offered me that. He was thousands away from what I should be able to sell it for privately, not just hundreds.

Now lets get onto the reason the industry is suffering shall we...Firstly yes everyone is being that bit tighter and worried about their jobs etc etc. So surely we should all be working that bit harder to make sure we do enough to keep our jobs?? Maybe not if you are an arrogant and lazy car salesman who thinks the money is going to land on your desk. If you need to spend an hour a day going through emails and following up on leads, no matter how likely or unlikely they may be, then thats what you should do!

Let me tell you, the times I have been in a showroom, they havent been overrun with custom. I certainly didnt see people lining up behind desks waiting to get seen. In fact everytime I have been the only person around, so that should tell you something. It should also mean that the salesman should try and do his best to make me want his car.

Not even showing me around a car or taking me out in one before talking about numbers is just lazy IMHO.

Hi vor

(simply because I knew they had none in to test drive at that exact time.  So therfore as a potential customer I expect a call back .)

Really ,you knew at that exact moment they didn't have
the car you wanted to test drive ,how. If you wanted to test drive that Audi ,why not ring your Audi dealer and fix a time to test drive drive it.

(As for was I looking for two months - no I wasnt looking for two months, I was thinking about what I was going to do )

That's an awful lot of thinking !it's still two months ,I don't suppose you've bought a car even now.

(So as for the "was I just lazy" comment - no, im busy and live in an era when electronic communication is the norm...well at least in our world.)

Another name for it is the information super highway,a great place to research
what you need to know,especially if you're that busy.

(As for what my car is worth, YES I do have a fair idea of what its worth and what I should be offered.  Im not stupid and the offer that I was given by a particular Honda dealer was disgusting and very lazy.    He was thousands away from what I should be able to sell it for privately,  Maybe not if you are an arrogant and lazy car salesman who thinks the money is going to land on your desk. )

He was thousands away from I could sell it for privately, that's the pinnacle that confirms the whole discussion ,why would you expect a dealer to give you retail value for a car ,that you want to part exchange with him .
Part exchange is the value that dealers give for part exchanges .Not retail value.

After all that research ,you haven't understood that?

Regards

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 18/01/2012 at 23:00

I am a bit shocked / surprised by Tony G's attitude. I'm in total agreement with VOR & Jamie & Buster', but to respond to some of Tony G's earlier comments,;

'The dealers will be keen to deal with you if you come across as a genuine buyer not a tyre kicker.'

I do hate that phrase, exactly what qualifies them as a tyre kicker? Because they don't buy from you? Do you consider everyone who doesn't buy from you a tyre kicker/timewaster? I don't doubt the existence of those that want a look out of curiousity, or desire, but don't yet have the funds, but that is part of your job. So, it takes some of your time up, in all the Garages & Dealerships that I've been in, it's not been the lack of staff that's the problem, it's been the lack of interest.

'Or just do the lazy thing and fill in an online request.'

Seriously, a potential buyer looking up a car, and bothering to email is lazy? Would this be one of those 'timewasters'?

'I got endless visits from potential buyers who hadn't a clue what they wanted ,and were reluctant to tell me what their budget was.
The response we got to a polite ,how can we help ,Was often, can I have a test drive,can I have a brochure,and can you tell me what my cars worth.No matter how pleasantly they asked ,we were always reluctant to waste an hour with them'

Well, sounds like a customer to me. Heaven forbid, that someone does't know what they want, surely that's your job as a salesman? Wouldn't it be so much easier if they just came in, and bought the car, ideally with a P/Ex & taking out Finance, without all that palava of questions and test drives!

'From your post you appear to have been looking for a car for two months ,the information on any car is readily available ,it should be easy to make a decision on what model in two weeks ,why two months?'

Re your criticism of VOR taking 2 months to buy a car, and so what? I've been looking since Christmas, I didn't realise that there was a time limit, oh I forgot, I must be one of those Tyre Kickers. A cars a car after all, eh.

'Sales people are always under pressure to perform three months poor performance is all the time they get before they are sacked.'

Yes, they've always looked pressured to me, or to take your views, oh no a tyre kicker, oh no an email request, oh no a potential customer wanting a test drive, and a valuation on car. Oh no, where am I going wrong, I've not sold any cars!!!

'The reason the industry is struggling ,is the economy is struggling .'

Nope, I've got money to spend on a car, VOR has money to spend on a car, and I'm sure there are lots of other people who would like to spend money on a car. I don't really like buying privately due to the risk, but I would rather take the risk, than put up with such poor unpleasant service.

I don't wish to turn this into a personal attack on you Tony, but really, I couldn't believe what you wrote, you summed up, and justified almost everything that I've had issues with.

However, as I stated at the beginning of the post, I don't tar all dealers with the same brush, I take them as I find them. I'd love to buy from a good dealer, just haven't found the magic combination of car, dealer & price.

Rashid, this is the type of people we have to deal with when buying a car.

Tong g's comments are an absolute joke. If I want to research cars for 2-3 months before buying, who the hell are you to tell me thats a waste of time. I just wouldnt buy a car from someone like you out of principle. I researched before buying my current car, which I also bought from new. I took around the same amount of time to finally choose the right car and at the right deal, and I got the deal I wanted so now you tell me that was too long!?

The first dealer I went to had a similar attitude to you, and guess what...even though I got him near enough down to where I wanted, I still told him to stick it and walked away. That wasnt because I was wasting his time, it was because his attitude stunk (a bit like yours), and he thought HE was doing ME a favour. I drove to another dealer a few miles away and got the deal I wanted from him, and because of his no nonsense and decent approach I bought the car from him. Sometimes the way you come across to a client really can make the difference, and maybe some salesmen should realise that.

I remembered last night that I know a car salesman from a high end manufacturer, and so I discussed this with him last night. He actually has the attitude that you need to treat everyone with upmost respect and realises that he just wont be able to sell a car to everyone. He actually made some very good points about how to approach and deal with salesmen, and I will be baring his advice in mind. I certainly wont be taking notice of what Tony g says, as I find his stance very arrogant and typical of the majority of salesmen, and certainly that of a particular manufacturer.

Rashid, you are also right that not ever dealer or salesman is the same (thank God), and I have spoken to some very decent salesmen too. I was simply making the point that the majority are not very decent.

A salesman friend (sadly no longer with us) told me many years ago that you treat any person that walks into the salesroom as a timewaster at your own peril. Even if they are only tyre kicking on that occation treat them well and they will hopefully return later having had a good experience, treat them badly and you will never see them again. Treat a genuine buyer as a time waster and its in all probability a potential sale lost. As my friend used to say, "Joe Public does not have to buy cars to carry on living but I sure as hell have to sell cars to carry on living".

As PointOfReason says above there are decent saleman around, I found a few when we last looked, but they were outnumbered by the ones who would rather drink coffee and look at the computer.

When we last bought the Scrapage scheme had recently ended and we wonderd if it had just been to easy for them for a year or so, people walking in and leaving an old motor and driving off in a new one and getting a £2000 discount, not much selling needed was there. Obviously this did not apply to 2nd hand motors.

Lots of ranting from the last two posts,no attempt to deal with any of the points raised.

(I told him to stick it and walked away) really, and you say the salesmans attitude was poor.
(the offer Honda made me was thousands away from what I could sell my car for privately) .no attempt made to justify such a pointless comment .

(I was simply making the point that the majority are not very decent) car sales people.

This is the point I really take issue with ,people like you try to take advantage of the seller ,buyer ,relationship.You expect respect from salespeople when you give them none. All I hear from you ,is they should have done this ,they should have done that. You do nothing to help yourself .

If you go into a showroom with the arrogant attitude of ,you're here to serve me.Is there any wonder their attitude is one of indifference.?

Tony g

See, once again you are assuming.

You are assuming that I dont treat the salesman with respect - where in fact I always treat anyone I deal with in the way I wish to be treated myself. I will always make the effort to meet and give my time to a salesman who wants to make the effort with me.

If you are going to call me and tell me about what you have, and then fail to call or email me back with an appointment - why should I chase you? You are meant to be trying to get me to buy the car, not the other way round.

I walked out of a dealership after being spoken to in a way that I thought was not acceptable. I am not going to sit there and listen to a load of rubbish that I know is rubbish. I will not tolerate morons im afraid, and so when i spot one, I walk. Thats my chice as a customer....your job is to make sure I dont feel like that and dont walk.

You may not like the forthright attitude I have, I dont really care. If I am going to part with my hard earned cash I expect to be given a service. Sitting behind a desk being lairy and arrogant is not providing a service. Being polite, helpful and honest and going out of your way to help me make a decision is good service, and I am more likely to buy from you.

I suggest you take on board some of the comments people have listed on this thread, you might find it will help you. You may currently work for a "Brand" that sells well and so you can get away with having a poor attitude to a certain extent. This may not always be the case, so I suggest you listen to the views of your potential customers, and realise that often we DO have the cash to spend, and if you do your job properly you MAY just get us to part with it.

(You may not like the forthright attitude I have, I dont really care.)

That just about sums up the whole discussion, lots of ranting along the lines of ,you must do this ,you must do that.

No attempt to justify the reasoning behind your arguments such as ,why you expect a dealer to give you a retail price for your car.

It comes across to me that the( lairy and arrogant salesman) is reacting to you as an individual. Now perhaps he shouldn't do it ,but its inevitable some will.
Tony g
Dodgy Car Dealers - Trilogy

If people have a problem with buying cars secondhand from dealers. Well, don't. They you are, problem solved. :)

Bore off Tony g...im not going to waste anymore time on you.

Im a customer and therefore I should be taken seriously. I dont go in with an attitude, but a lot of the time I will leave in one after having to put up with a moron with a similar attitude to yourself.

Off you go and stamp your feet then ,a tantrum is always better than reason ,isn't it ?
Still not willing to justify your thinking? On the px price.
Third time I've asked.

Tony g
Lots of ranting from the last two posts,no attempt to deal with any of the points raised.

There was no ranting in my last post, I was only pointing out a late friends attitude to buyers, he was succeesful, became Delaer Principal at a large delaership. I would appreciate it if you could possibly appologise for your rant about my non-ranting post otherwise I will have to raise it with the moderators.

What's behind this sudden urge to seek recourse with the moderators? I'm sure that they have better things to do than mediate in disagreements arising in threads.

I know some people dislike my input and if an OP ever asks me not to contribute any further, then I simply bow out of the thread.

Come on chaps-self regulation...

To be accused of ranting when all I had done was put on this forum my personal points is not acceptable. If I had been ranting OK, fair enough. If I had been ranting I WOULD HAVE PUT MY POST UP IN CAPITALS.

RANT OVER.

I'VE HAD WORSE THROWN AT ME.:-)

Have a nice cup of tea Thunderbird. You'll feel better!

Thunderbird,sorry I was referring to vor and rashid ,not yourself.
As I was writing my response, your post arrived in the thread.

Regards

Tony g
Thunderbird,sorry I was referring to vor and rashid ,not yourself. As I was writing my response, your post arrived in the thread. Regards Tony g

Its nice to see someone appologise even though in this case it would not appear to have deliberate, thanks.

A few months ago on another forum a post of mine landed between those of 2 members who were throwing racist comments at each other. I was banned for 2 weeks for my racist comments when I had made none. After 2 weeks when I was allowed back on I sent a message to the moderator pointing out that I had not made any racist comments and I would like an apology, result, banned for life. I do not wish to become part of other peoples arguments again for that reason alone.

Off to have a cup of tea.

Edited by thunderbird on 19/01/2012 at 12:41

Dodgy Car Dealers - 475TBJ

Anyone for a cold bath or cup of tea as thunderbird mentioned? Just go for a walk and calm down. Life's too short.................we don't need any heart attacks today.

Ok Tony G, so please respond to my last comments.

VOR may have got a bit hot under the collar, but sounds more like exasperation to me.

I think Thunderbirds salesman friend was spot on.

VOR has stated that he does not treat salesman arrogantly, I definitely don't but when you're faced with such poor service and apathy, you're not going to hang around. You will go elsewhere, or even think about keeping your money. I know I have.

"Joe Public does not have to buy cars to carry on living but I sure as hell have to sell cars to carry on living".

Exactly

Exactly Rashid.

I stay pretty cool, but some of the rubbish that is being said does get my back up and actually proves the point we have both been making.

The problem that you both have is that you want top dollar specs for botttom dollar money. Gee, who doesn't? Salesmen see these traits in dreamers and time wasters and are not interested.

I personally believe I am being very realistic. Im quite willing to listen to offers too - If the salesman can be bothered that is.

Wanting a 20-25% discount is not being realistic in my view. Since BIK is based on list price, not transaction price, any company that wants to attract business users must set the list price realistically.

The big percentage discounts are usually phoney-or simply offloading rubbish that won't sell.

There was a time a couple of years back when production was outstripping supply, and manufacturers were willing to let dealers sell cars at a loss to raise much needed cash. Production has since been scaled down to a more appropriate level. That boat has sailed.

You may be right, but I will only know that after actually getting to sit down with someone who wants to talk seriously, and show me the positives to driving away their car.

However I am pretty sure im not far from the correct mark, as their are places out there (however not so close to me) who are selling for very close to the figure im looking at.

The last person I know who managed to 'negotiate' a big discount on a new car is now the proud owner of a 2010 plate ford focus fitted with...a 1.6 Zetec engine!

The reason it was cheap was because the dealer was desperate to offload a car whose engine was already obsolete.

Edited by bonzo dog on 19/01/2012 at 14:09

Hi all,
This thread seems to have generated a lot more heat than light ,

With that in mind let me try to clarify my point ,vor to a large extent and rashid to a lesser extent seem desperate to make out that the majority of car sales people are fools and wasters.

They also suggest that buyers hardly ever lie ,don't wander around car dealerships because they've nothing better to do ,and often think they know more about the car trade ,than car dealers do.

It would be difficult to qualify ,but I know from 30 years experience that their are least as many idiot customers as their are idiot car salesman .

(I personally believe I am being very realistic.  Im quite willing to listen to offers too - If the salesman can be bothered that is.)

As a final comment ,voice of reason,a wrong Choice of name if their ever was one ,uses the above paragraph ,he just can't resist trying to prove how reasonable he is ,but the salesman just can't be bothered !

The reality is that they simply can't be bothered with you.

Tony g, you keep going pal.

Neither of us have said at any point that there arent timewasters out there, of course there are. So maybe you should actually listen for a change.

What we are saying is that salesmen should treat everyone the same, as someone who you may think is a timewaster may actually be someone who is about to spend quite a lot of money.

You have probably never had to part with a great deal of money for a car if you have been a salesman for 30 years, so you may not understand that a diligent customer may liek to know exactly what is out there and may want to know a lot more about the car and the dealership before he actually parts with his cash.

To be honest, from the way you have come across I really hope I never have the bad luck of having to come across you when looking for a car. I doubt you would tell us who you work for (my guess is Audi) or where, but if I knew I would keep well away.

You may actually be a lovely bloke, but as a salesman your attitude stinks and I disagree with nearly every point you have tried to put across.

Like i said, I have actually met and done business with some very good and genuinely helpful salesmen in the past, but have come across more morons than I have good ones.

Sales people are always under pressure to perform three months poor performance is all the time they get before they are sacked

If they're really under that much pressure then why dont they feel pressured enough to at least bother to answer an email?

It does seem that plenty of salesmen and car dealers only want to deal with somebody who's decided they'll buy the car before they see it. Anything slightly more challenging and they cant be bothered. A hamster could sell a car to somebody who's bought it before they walk in.

Dodgy Car Dealers - skidpan

Some years ago a salesman steadfastly refused to tell me how much he would allow on my p/x until I had signed an order.

Another told me to get a test drive elsewhere since the demonstrator was blocked in and then come back buy from him.

Believe it or not I bought from neither and by some strange cooincidence neither garage is trading today.

Vor This is all turning in to a sad and pointless rant by an individual that's desperate to prove his point.
You make so many presumptions based on your own sad prejudices.

Let me try to put you right on a few points,

I've been a sales manager and a finance manager in the motor trade for many years ,not a salesman.

I don't work for Audi and never have done , I retired 5 years ago ,and buy and sell a few cars ,just for something to do ,The car trade is a business I've always enjoyed working in ,that's why I resent foolish, ilinformed comments.

Never spent much money on a car,?I've bought and restored classic mercedes for many years ,I buy cars for my family to use, I currently have 8 cars for sale.

(I have come across more morons than good ones )

Experienced car sales people will sus out a pompous idiot 5 minutes after they arrive in the showroom ,they will want to reserve their time for a genuine buyer.

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 19/01/2012 at 18:41

Experienced car sales people will sus out a pompous idiot 5 minutes after they arrive in the showroom ,they will want to reserve their time for a genuine buyer.

Can they sus them out by ignoring their email?

Jamie,you've done the job,you tell me.

Regards

Tony g
Well I recognise this is the 21st century and email is the primary method of communicating and that no industry has a right to stay in an era it was most comfortable with. As a general rule I reply to everybody, if someones emailed to ask a basic question then ill give a basic answer. Doesn't take much effort does it.

Tony G, i still think you're missing the point, and apart from defending dealers standing in the cold, not making much profit, feeling pressured, you still haven't addressed the various points that I and others have made.

You've actually defended the criticisms.

Why?

Did you expect all customers to walk into your dealership, having read about a vehicle, and then just buy it? What about choice, different models, colour, brand, engine. So if someone didn'y buy from your dealers, then they're a waste of time?

How many 'tyrekickers' came to you from other dealers and then proceeded to buy?

One mans tyre kicker is another mans customer, is that about right?

(I think my ? key is about to break :)

One mans tyre kicker is another mans customer, is that about right?

I don't think so. I've got friends that are perennial tyre kickers. Always thinking about 'changing' their car-but never actually doing it. They spend blissful Saturday afternoons wasting dealers' time, discussing trade-in prices, grip properties of different tyres, but never actually spending any money. Unless you're looking for a particularly rare second hand car, it you've been 'looking' for two months, then you're not a serious buyer.

It doesn't take that long to work out what you're willing to spend, and what you can get for your money.

A couple of hours on autotrader will tell you what the going rate for a particular model of car is.

I still think plenty of dealers are only interested if you essentially turn up wearing a pile of money on your forehead. Not everybody will know 100% what they want because until you get into the car you've selected you dont know. Theres only so much you can tell from online reviews and photographs. If i go out and look for something i'll usually have it narrowed down to a maximum of three and test drives will determine the winner. That may mean two dealers end up 'wasting time' but they cant expect everybody to buy cars unseen.

I sympathise with those currently in the trade, yes its high pressure, yes its low margin, yes its long hours but all of that should add up for it to be at least worth replying to an email surely?

That's a fair point Jamie. But I suppose salesmen get to know the traits of people who are more likely to be timewasters. Of course profiling isn't 100% accurate.

But if your 'profiling method discards nine timewasters and one genuine customer, the genuine customer will feel aggrieved, but the salesmen has still avoided the hassle of nine timewasters, and can focus on people who fit the profile of being, say, 40% likely to buy.

I don't know-I'm not a salesman. But then I don't like friendly salesmen. I'm more likely to buy a product (never a car!) from a salesman is distant.

What im saying is how much time can they waste when all they've done is email you? Im not talking about tyrekickers who mooch round your cars all day, im talking about people who send an email to ask a simple question. It takes 30 seconds to respond to each one, the likelyhood is half of them wont show up anyway. Whats the problem?

Email is the main mode of communication in most businesses now, it works well because if the recepient is busy they can reply shortly after. Yet in car sales an email is deemed 'timewasting.' The way i see it is if people cant even bother to click a few buttons on a keyboard then they deserve to go out of business.

Also, whats with the profiling? We're not tracking down serial killers here we're selling cars. What would that salesman be doing if he wasnt 'wasting time' (ie working, which he's paid for) with someone? Sat there on his computer playing Solitaire? Im yet to go into a used car dealership and see anybody who looks even sort of busy.

Edited by jamie745 on 19/01/2012 at 21:36

What's with the profiling?

Depending on what you sell-quite a lot! I can't imagine a ferrari dealership just lets any old Tom, Dick, and Harry take their cars for a spin!

Maybe it is the haunting fear that whilst you're stuck with Billy-no-mates, your colleague gets a sale.

Maybe if you give away too many test drives without a sale, you lose your bonus. I don't know.

But if you meet five 'bad' salesman on the trot then the problem probably lies with you!

Depending on what you sell-quite a lot! I can't imagine a ferrari dealership just lets any old Tom, Dick, and Harry take their cars for a spin!

Well of course not but how many Ferrari dealerships have you been in? Im talking about your ordinary used car dealership, selling Fords and Vauxhalls, ordinary common cars for ordinary common people. Anybody could buy one. But you see stories here (and indeed elsewhere) of salespeople who wont let you take a test drive unless you commit to buy it - if it turns out you dont like the car it'd have been cheaper to rent one! - makes you wonder if the test drive is now viewed as this optional extra. Also if dealers think 'test pilots' are coming by to 'have fun' in their diesel Korean tinboxes then they're sadly mistaken. If your place sells boring cars then its unlikely you'll get many joyriders coming by for a chat and a spin.

If anything - surprisingly - it sounds like the worst places for this are franchised dealers selling new or nearly new cars. Who buys a brand new car - hardly loose change is it? - without even driving it first?! People who work at the likes of BMW complain people are too hesitant. These are £60,000 cars we're talking about in some cases, i think people have a right to be hesitant about spending that sort of money.

Hi rashid,
Are you getting as bored with this thread as I am ?

I'm beginning to feel that I'm communicating with my teenage grandchildren in dealing with you and vor.
What does that mean,well like you they are enthusiastic , opinionated and bright, but they lack sufficient experience to know what they're talking about.

So.Let me try and explain what an ideal experience could be for both the buyer and seller in the car sale/purchase experience.

As a buyer, research the type of car you want to buy before you venture into a showroom,ie, which are the most likely brands ,
How big,petrol,diesel,hatchback,estate,manual,automatic ,finally how much do you want spend .if you have a part exchange ,research what it's worth as a part exchange ,Parkers guide will give you an idea of it's trade in value. That way you won't be disappointed when a salesmen doesn't offer you retail value for your car.
All this should sound obvious to you ,I hope so. The sad truth is that car dealerships are plagued by people who drop off their wives at the supermarket
and then come for a wander round the dealerships, brochure collectors ,tyre kickers ,call them what you like.

Presuming that you're not one of these ,and you're genuinely interested in buying a car ,when you get to a showroom treat the salesman as an equal,he's not a moron ,he's not a servant ,be straight with him ,tell him which model you want and how much you're budget is.

If he can't get to the deal you want ,tell him you're a genuine buyer ,get him to check with his sales manager if that's the best deal that can be done .

Remember though that a deal won't be of interest to a dealer if they can't make sufficient profit ,when cars are in short supply ,as they often are at dealers such as Honda and BMW. They will often hold onto new cars ,until a better deal comes along.

If you can't get the deal you want from that manufacturer ,move onto the next one.

Try to remember that none of the sales process is personal, the salesman won't give you a low price on your car to insult you ,either he or his manager will see the first offer as a point for negotiation ,whether it's on the value of your part exchange or a discount from the car that you want to buy .

All to often a customer who hasn't researched the value of his px ,takes the hump and walks out when a dealer makes an offer on his car .In addition take into account ,that the only figure that matters is the balance to change. How much of your hard earned cash do you have to part with. So it could be possible to do a deal.

Edited by tony g on 19/01/2012 at 21:46

Dodgy Car Dealers - Graham567

After reading everyone's posts i feel the need to add mine.

A couple of years ago i wanted a large family car around the £20,000 mark brand new or pre reg.

I narrowed my choices down to a Honda Accord(a bit dearer than 20 grand),a Vauxhall Insignia,Citroen C5 or a Ford Mondeo.

I looked into each car on the net and weighed up the pro's and con's of each model.

It reached a point where i felt i needed to go to each dealer to see the cars in the flesh and have any questions answered as they arose.I had the £20,000 ready to spend so i was just narrowing the cars down until i was happy to commit.

My local Citroen dealer had a C5 in stock.I had read up on What Car that a £2,000 target price discount should be attainable.He offered £500 off and wouldn't budge any more.To add insult to injury he then priced by car (which had a trade in value of £5000) at a parltry £4,000.

This process was repeated across all the dealers in my area.

Very poor discounts and rubbish trade in value.

I eventually went out of town to a dealer 50 miles away.

I ended up buying a pre reg Ford Mondeo Titanium X(list price at the time £25,500) with delivery miles for only £17,500.

Plus i got £6,000 trade in as well.

All my local dealers didn't seem interested that i had £20,000 to spend and couldn't do any worthwhile deals.

In fact,to be taken seriously i found that i had to wear trousers,shirt etc where as if i went in jeans they looked at me as if i was wasting their time.

Never judge a book by its cover.I had the money ready to spend and the dealer who gave a fantastic deal got my money.

'Hi rashid,
Are you getting as bored with this thread as I am ?'

Hurrah, we're back to agreeing with each other!

'I'm beginning to feel that I'm communicating with my teenage grandchildren in dealing with you and vor.

What does that mean,well like you they are enthusiastic , opinionated and bright, but they lack sufficient experience to know what they're talking about.'

and your post started so well, I'll take small comfort in the fact that I'm sure you like your grandchildren, and thus have a soft spot for myself & VOR, (Jamie, I think you're classed as an adult)

Well thank you for your wise words, and in some parts I agree with you.

but tell me, are car dealers extra special people? I just wondered because when I pop to the high street shops, you wouldn't believe how many people I see walking around, just looking at stuff. some of them don't even have bags on them, what's that all about. Oh, and if you think that's not a fair comparison, Estate Agents in the main seem to manage with Time Wasters.

The funny thing is that's only a very small part of the problem, I have no P/Ex, and I'm looking for a car in the £5k region. There is actually quite alot of disparity in prices when you consider condition, spec, mileage, model etc etc. Dealer/Trader wise, greeting me would be a good start, letting me drive the car without commiting to buy is always useful, and ideally for longer than 5 minutes. Not lying to me about very obvious defects, (bald tyres) not trying to get out of their legal responsibilities by denying any warranty/guarantee. One dealer when I made a phone enquiry about a car was so rude and aggressively replied, 'does it say it in the ad, if it doesn't say it, then it hasn't got it' charming, the ad also didn't say it had seats or an engine, plonker.

Likewise when I was in the market for a £25k car, the dealer was awful, (as described much earlier on in this post) thankfully the car wasn't, but he so didn't deserve the sale.

Well, I hope you're enjoying your retirement, I guess it's not that much different from being at work ;)

Tony g's profiling is about as good as his people skills it seems.

Im not going to tell you everything about me, but I can tell you that I do have the money to spend, and that I will buy a car and prepared to drive away with it in the next month or so, I am far from being a child. I work hard for my money and hence why email communication or a quick phone call prior to visiting the showroom is helpful to me.

Im not going to pretend im the easiest person to deal with, im not, im stubborn. However it is a salesmans job to deal with people with all sorts of backgrounds and mannorisms. Just like its my job at work to deal with difficult clients and make sure they get served well, regardless.

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

The problem is profiling in the first place - "one size" doesn't fit all.

I get annoyed at a salesman's first qualifier "what's your budget?" which implies that's how much you're going to spend regardless of whether your needs/wants can be satisfied cheaper or indeed that your limit may not be enough.

I decide, not the trade, what sort of car I want and what functional specification it has to meet. If I had to spend £60,000 to get that function I would but I won't tell a salesman that because I'd never find out about cars under £30,000 that tick all my boxes.

I do know that car salesmen always fail to profile me properly, most likely because I don't do image so probably don't look like I can afford £10,000 let alone £60,000.

If I'm looking at secondhand cars, as I do for my son every so often, I'm not only looking at functions which are different to my own, I'm also looking to see what you get for the money at the lower levels. In this sector the variation in salesman's approach is most varied - there are still rip-off cowboys out there but the majority appear far more professional, until something goes wrong aver you've bought it!

I have to say I've only been treated badly once by a salesman (actually lady but I'm old-fashioned and non-PC) so I politely but bluntly walked out.

But I've had lot's of problems with salesmen at the enquiry stage - either you can't get one to talk to you when you're interested or more recently they put you through a full profile interrogation before they'll even attempt to give information about the vehicle.

I have found that mainstream (Ford, Vauxhall, Toyota, VW) and premium (Audi, BMW, Lexus) dealers simply haven't got a box for the likes of me - but the smaller volume brands (Hyundai, Subaru) are much less categorical.

Vor.
You seem desperate to justify yourself ,all I read in your posts is I this I that.

Then you want to tell us all what a salesmans job and responsibilities are ,if he doesn't perform in the way you want ,he's a moron .

Not once in your posts have you made a reasoned argument ,not once have you tried to justify a comment.

(I'm not going to tell you everything about me) why not,you asked about me ,I told you .you made presumptions about me and who I worked for ,you were wrong on every count.

Remember that this forum is about the sharing of opinions, ideas and information.To the mutual benefit and amusement of all the members .

So ,before you reply think what opinion we got from you ,salesmen are morons ,that's it .well done.

Sadly ,I think your posts have more to do with a fragile ego,and a desperate need to prove yourself.

However ,I would love you to prove me wrong ,justify your view points with reasoned fact, I've asked you three times why you expect a retail selling price ,when you part exchange your car with a dealer.

No reply!

Don't bore the forum with another pointless attack on me ,enlighten us with your views ,but back up a view point with logic.

Regards

Tony g

Hi video,
It's great to hear from someone who ,does the logical sensible thing ,both before they get involved with a car dealer and during the process .

You clearly researched what cars would meet your criteria ,you also knew the approximate value of your part exchange.

You didn't get what you wanted from the first dealers that you approached ,so you moved on until you get the deal you wanted.

It's worth bearing in mind,that the dealers you spoke to,but didn't buy from ,didn't offer you what you wanted ,because they didn't want to deal,it's simply because ,from their perspective ,the sale wouldn't have been profitable enough.

Why a deal is not profitable enough is a complex calculation ,so I won't bore you with the details.
The thing I like most about your post is that ,even though you didn't get the deal you wanted ,you didn't criticise the dealers or the (moronic)salesmen as others have done.
Most are not stupid or arrogant as rashid and vor suggest ,they or thier managers just couldn't see enough profit in the transaction.

The only thing in your post that I can find fault with I've copied below ,it's one of the old chestnuts of the car trade ,it may have been true thirty years ago.but people dress much more casually these days ,theirs no way a dealer will discriminate against you ,because of the way you dress.

As an example I had a customer who had a chain of butchers shops plus a farm,
He was one of the scruffiest guys you would ever see ,but he and his family ran a fleet of 12 mercedes ,from s class to c class.He was a lovely man to do business with ,he always wanted a keen deal,but unlike vor and rashid ,he didn't take umbrage if he didn't get what he wanted straight away.
We would normally sit down for an hour ,have a couple of coffees ,And negotiate a deal that was mutually agreeable.A good deal for him and a good profit for us.

(In fact,to be taken seriously i found that i had to wear trousers,shirt etc where as if i went in jeans they looked at me as if i was wasting their time.

Never judge a book by its cover.I had the money ready to spend and the dealer who gave a fantastic deal got my money.)

Regards

Tony g

Dodgy Car Dealers - madf

I alwys wear jeans. Never a shirt nor a tie. Always a jerkin of some type in winter.

Never had any problems in any showroom - BMW, Audi , Mercedes, Ford Toyota etc.

Guess it's due to washing and shaving and having (some) short hair...:-)

Edited by madf on 20/01/2012 at 12:34

Here briefly is the way the wife and I were treated 4 years ago when we wanted to swapt her Mini Cooper S for a new Mini Cooper S at the garage we had used for serving and warranty work for a couple of years surely proving we were not time wasters.

Made phone contact with sales and explained what we wanted to do and asked about delivery lead in (this was before the financial crisis). Was told 5 months thus order Set/Oct for 1st March delivery which was perfect sice it was early Sepember. Asked salesman about the deal and he said they would value our car and calculate a price to change in March and would give us a deal price that would allow to private sale if we wanted, perfect so far. Arranged a test drive for the Monday after we got back from holiday, think it was 10 am.

Alarm bells should have rung Friday when the salesman rang to ask us if we were still coming for the test drive, told him yes on Monday morning and he sounded surprised when I said we were 430 miles away and getting there that morning would be difficult. Agreed to see him Monday as previously arranged.

Drove the 15 miles to the garage, went to reception to be told the salesman was out delivering a car, could we come back later. Said no since we had made the appointment 2 weeks earlier and confirmed it on Friday. They passed us over to a salesman who had clearly only just started work there and did not have a clue about the car or test drives. After filling into sheets of paper we were eventually taken out in a car with no fuel in it, the salesman did not have a fuel card and had to get someone else to put fuel in it. I drove the car first but before the wife had an opportunity we had to go back and get more fuel in the car, clearly the previous £1.00's worth had evapourated.

Despite all this we liked the car and still wanted to do a deal and by now it was past midday and our saleman was back. Sat down with him but in fairness I should have asked first if he was OK to be out without his mother, he looked about 12. Told him we liked the car and what about a deal as discussed 2 weeks earlier. He denied all knowledge of our conversation and said they would not do a deal on the basis I described and to come back in November when they would be able to take an order from us.

Now all you salesmen on here who blame the customer for wasting time and being tyre kickers please would you justify the actions of that salesman as being acceptable in any way.

Up side for us was the wife realised she did not really want another Mini and that a propper car made more sense. We left it until just after Christmas and started visiting the usual suspects, VW who were ignorant, idle and uninterested, Toyota who were ill informed and lied about most things, Honda who were generally OK but constantly forgot we did not want a car that week, Volvo who again were OK but were only interested in selling us the car out front that had just become an obsolete spec with no price incentive, Ford who tried to be helpful but somehow failed, Vauxhall who never rang back to arrange a test drive as promised, I could go on.

We eventually went into the BMW delership that was in the same building as the Mini one that had disapointed us so much 3 months before. We were greeted by a salesman who turned out to be an absolute gem, he took us on 5 test drives in different spec cars to ensure we bought the correct one and when he gave us a price to swap quickly dropped it to a realistic one when I told him I could buy it cheaper on the net. He even saved us another £800 when a new spec was announced a week later that gave us all kit we wanted and no more. Car was delivered on the date and time agreed with absolutely no hassle.

Traders on here should listen to what is being said, I have to tell you that you need to try harder and treat all visiters to your showroom with equal respect whether they buy a car or not. The customer wants to spend money and we deserve to feel a little wanted, what will it cost you, basically nothing. You will not sell a car to every person that walks in the door but if you treat every body like a germ you will sell none.

Dodgy Car Dealers - oldroverboy

When i worked in switzerland, jag/rover/landrover dealer, if a customer called and wanted a test drive at home or at the office we went. I was a parts manager but if it was me that had to go, i went.

When i worked on the stand at the motor shows we treated EVERYONE as if they were a potential customer.

Since i have moved to south wales, I have one good purchasing experience out of 4 cars i have bought.

Here in the uk, it is virtually impossible to get a test drive in the spec i want, because everyone wants to flog me something that has huge wheels and spray on tyres and engine and gearbox choices i don't want. I can afford anything up to and including a jaguar xf (new) but i am careful with my money and will probably spend a lot less. I want a 1.6 to 2 litre petrol manual wthout electronic parking brake,climate control not necessary, but above all comfortable for my twice broken back and neck. It's actually strange that the car that suits me best is the one i've got, and it is proving hard to get something i like.

Tony G, when i went to one car dealer to look at a car and asked to test drive it, not blocked in and currently taxed, no pay £500 deposit first.. Byeeeee! And the car i turned up in was spotless and not very old. Nobody in th uk wants to work at selling anymore, that is the problem, not knowing B8888r all about the cars either.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 20/01/2012 at 14:25

There is so much to say about comments discused on this thread that it would take up too much time (& too much room) to do so but I'll make a few points on both sides of the fence:

1. All car salesmen lie. There are those that do so because that's the way they are & there are those that do so because they have been told to do so by their management. Ask yourself this - if your boss asked you to lie to a customer or you're sacked, what would you do? Don't forget there are very few people in the car trade with professional qualifications or employment skills which will enable them to get another reasonably paid job
  2. If the saleman has the car you want, at the price you are prepared to pay & willing to give you the price you want for your PX he will do so. You are happy & so is he. Just because he doesn't have the exact spec of car for you to demo or is unwilling to sell his car to you at the price you want to pay or is unwilling to pay what you what for your PX doesn't make him a moron or means he is insulting you. It's certainly no reason to tell him to "stick it". You won't buy or sell unless the price is right; why do you expect car salesmen to do so
  3. Most people who enter a dealership are not buyers. This is of course no reason not to treat them with courtesy & if they are treated as such they may come back to buy at a later date. But as you are on someone elses premises it's also reasonable to be asked & to answer questions in an open & honest way. If you are not buying for another 6 months & are simply inquisitive, say so but don't expect a test drive.
Bonzo,
Its a pleasure to read well thought out comments,

You sum up the whole car dealer situation quickly and succinctly ,you justify your thinking with reasoned argument .

For those who feel desperate to prove how much cleverer than car dealers they are ,read and understand bonzo,s comments.

Not once does he need to boost a fragile ego by calling salespeople morons ,12 year olds or similar.

I can't even find fault with your comment that salesmen lie ,although the spin I could put on it ,is simply that they are telling people what they want to hear ,perhaps?

It puts me in mind of something I used to say to customers ,who turned up with a manky old banger when I used to be a salesman ,I never criticised their old car ,I always used to say .I'm really pleased to see you've got a sierra ,our mechanic is desperate for one to do up ,I'll give you another hundred pounds for your part exchange .it's a lie of sorts ,because the sierra would go straight to scrap,but the customer felt that he was getting a special deal ,I got more business so everybody was happy.And no he didn't get more than i would have given anyway for his part exchange .

Regards

Tony g

Not once does he need to boost a fragile ego by calling salespeople morons ,12 year olds or similar.

I did not call the salesman a 12 year old, I said he looked like a 12 year old because he did, its was a fact, nothing to do with boosting my fragile ego, get your quotes correct.

Saying somebody looks like a 12 year old is insulting whichever way you spin it.
Saying somebody looks like a 12 year old is insulting whichever way you spin it.

What if that person is actually 12 years old?

That could be an awkward year.....

TonyG

If you spent as much time selling cars as getting upset with customers you would probably do better. I repeat, the THE SALESMAN LOOKED 12 YEAR OLD I.E. HE LOOKED YOUNG do you get it now, it was not an insult, it was a fact. He insulted me by treating me and the wife like a MORONS.

Skid pan,you're wrong on so many counts ,I didnt sell cars for many years ,when I was directly involved in sales I never fell out with customers .I was a firm believer that you could never win an argument with a customer .

If a potential sale looked like degenerating into a ruck ,my response would always be ,I don't think were going to be able to help you .
The individual went on his way , I used my time to better effect .

The young salesman didn't treat you like a moron ,he just didn't get to the deal you wanted.

Again let me say again ,my only issue with the whole of this thread ,is,very few salesmen are morons ,very few are conmen ,most are just trying to make a living like anyone else.

The reason why the car sales process is so difficult is because it becomes too emotional.logic goes out of the window ,ie the salesmans a moron,he doesn't know what he's talking about ,his offer was insulting ,he tried to con me .

All of which happens but not often ,

If you regard my post as biased ,read bonzos post for an example of unbiased unemotional thinking .

Tony g

Edited by tony g on 20/01/2012 at 20:54

If you were a ten year old , it could be a compliment.
Dodgy Car Dealers - Avant

Tony G, I do admire your patience! I agree - Bonzo Dog's succinct and fair summary of the position is spot-on.

There are all too many experiences like Skidpan's, but I'm sure that salesmen like that are in the minority: most of them are on low basic salaries and depend on commission.

Inevitably we heare more bad news than good, in the Press and on forums like this. I've been lucky enough to ahve been able to change cars every 2 or 3 years for the last 40 years and I have had many more good experiences with sales staff than bad ones. It's worth saying that the best ones have been with family-owned dealerships, the worst with big chains.

Double post.

Edited by skidpan on 21/01/2012 at 08:48

To add to Skidpan's experiences here ie the experience his parents were subjected too last time they bought a car, bear in mind they are in their mid 80's and could hardly be described as looking like a couple of tyre kickers.

They had a perfectly good Honda Jazz much loved by octogenariens and perfectly reliable but mother was having trouble getting out of the passenger seat. To make life easier they decided to change and after looking at one that a neighbour had I suggested they looked at the Ford Fusion.

First garage just ignored them, salemen would walk past as young people came in and greet them, eventually they went to reception and asked if a saleman happened to be free, receptionist went into back room where 3 or 4 people were sitting drinking coffee but none managed to move, they left.

Second garage was more helpful, showed them a car and they immediately realised it was perfect but as soon as dad asked about getting one with side airbags it went downhill. Told them a Fusion did not need side airbags like a rubish Honda Jazz, dad quickly told him since the Jazz was so rubish he doubted if they would want to take it in part exchange and left.

Third garage was fine but getting one with side airbags was impossible without it being a factory order and that mean't no discount. Salesman looked at Ford Direct but none fitted their requirements again. Offered a Ford Direct C-Max at a brilliant price which mother liked (side airbags standard) but dad thought it was too big. Part Ex price offered was good, left on good terms saying they would think and return for a test drive later if they wanted to go further.

Decided to look at Nissan Note but discovered that a Micra was perfect for mother and had side airbags and all the kit they wanted in Acenta trim. Deal offered was brilliant, I went back with him the next day to sign the deal. When presented with the order I spotted that he had quoted for a 3 door not a 5 as requested. Salesman said 5 door was another £500, we left.

I rang a dealer I bought a Nissan from about 3 years earlier, told him what we wanted, what we had and what we wanted to pay, agreed there and then. Went later in week and signed order with dad and I checked that it did include 12 months RFL, mats etc as discussed and confirmed it did. When we went to collect there were no mats and car had only 6 months tax, saleman blamed prep people for mats and said since car was discounted it only included 6 months tax. I pointed out that the Nissan OTR price included 12 months and had confirmed this with him when we ordered, he blamed admin. Said he would get a cheque for £60 sent to dad. Weeks went p[ast, no cheque, dad rang several times being told it had to come from head office which took time. Eventually I rang and by accident spoke to the dealer pricipal. He knew nothing about it which he found remarkable since he had to sign all cheque requests, cheque recieved following week.

The first Nissan dealer rang dad every day for 2 weeks despite being told he had bought elsewhere lowering the price of the 5 door eventually matching the deal he had offered on a 3 door and we got elsewhere, why did he not do it 2 weeks before.

So to sumarise dad only got one good experience and he did not buy from that dealer. The dealer he bought from was either a pathological liar or he caught him on a bad day, make your own mind up.

Edited by Avant on 21/01/2012 at 11:28

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

Are car dealers, dodgy or otherwise, any better/worse than big retailers of other products?

There are times when I go into Currys/Comet/Argos/Asda for electrical items, most recently a printer/scanner, and trying to find a salesperson to ask technical questions of was virtually impossible - not surprising at Argos and Asda as that's their business model but frustrating at Currys and Comet - I've also had similar experiences at PC World but as it's part of Dixons Group like Currys that's no surprise.

My own view of new car dealers is that they're too focussed on who they want to sell to and how they're going to sell the product - a bit like double-glazing salesmen! In the absence of all-singing all-dancing information centres funded by the car manufacturers themselves, new car dealers HAVE to be information providers as well as sellers.

Why do you expect technical knowledge from an assistant in currys? It's a dull, minimum wage job with horrible working hours. Anyone with decent technical knowledge can put it to better use than that!

I'd rather a salesman admits that he knows nothing than gives a half-baked explanation of the merits of common rail. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

Why do you expect technical knowledge from an assistant in currys? It's a dull, minimum wage job with horrible working hours. Anyone with decent technical knowledge can put it to better use than that!

I'd rather a salesman admits that he knows nothing than gives a half-baked explanation of the merits of common rail. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

So where then?

I take your point about Curry's - but where can you get factual information on cars - the manufacturer or a franchised dealer should have more accurate information than magazines or motoring websites - but some manufacturers just refer you back to the dealer network.

but where can you get factual information on cars - the manufacturer or a franchised dealer should have more accurate information than magazines or motoring websites

This is a very salient point. If you want to know anything technical about the VW 1.9D engines for instance, you can get all the information you want through VW's industrial sales division. You'll get nothing remotely useful from their automotive sales side-even though it's the same engine.

I've wanted performance charts (BSFC vs load/RPM) for my engine for years, but Renault won't provide them-even though the engine is obsolete and out of production. It's a disgrace that a customer can't get the information that allows them to get the best use from a product.

I suppose the rationale is that the average customer is too ignorant to understand detailed technical specs-indeed is more likely to misinterpret them. But that's no excuse for not making information available.

Regarding your dad ,on a personal level ,I was always glad of a chance to do business with old folk. They never got emotional,they would always tell you what they wanted ,very rarely did they come into a showroom because they had nothing better to do.

If they came with their children,it was always the children that were desperate to show me how clever they were. All the old folk wanted was somebody to spend a bit of extra time with them ,I wrote everything down ,and went over each part of the sale with them ,I made sure they were clear on the product and price .when I was selling cars I had an 80% conversion rate with the elderly .that's way above industry standard. Tony g

Edited by Avant on 21/01/2012 at 11:29

Hi avant,
Can I ask ,why did you feel it necessary to edit the first part of the last post.

Regards

Tony g
Dodgy Car Dealers - Avant

Both yours and Skidpan's edited to remove the irrelevant argument about how old a salesman looked.

Mr Avant

How PC do we have to be today, god my head hurts.

Regarding your dad ,on a personal level ,I was always glad of a chance to do business with old folk. They never got emotional,they would always tell you what they wanted ,very rarely did they come into a showroom because they had nothing better to do.

If they came with their children,it was always the children that were desperate to show me how clever they were. All the old folk wanted was somebody to spend a bit of extra time with them ,I wrote everything down ,and went over each part of the sale with them ,I made sure they were clear on the product and price .when I was selling cars I had an 80% conversion rate with the elderly .that's way above industry standard. Tony g

Dad did his own negotiating, he has been buying cars since the 50's, should know what he is doing, I went along at his request just to look at the final paperwork, good job I did. How the salesman decided they wanted a 3 door when they arrived in a 5 door and tried a 5 door in the showroom god only knows, personally I thinkhe was trying it on hoping to get away with it and register the car too them before they noticed.

The often appalling treatment of potential customers by car salesmen (especially for new cars) has been discussed at length on this forum previously. I won't bother retelling some of my less than gratifying experiences. Suffice to say that when buying new I use drivethedeal which gives me a great price and cuts out the haggling with the dealer.

The comment in this thread (sorry, can't remember by whom) that car showrooms are the only place where this attitude prevails is spot on. When you walk into a butchers, TV shop, clothes shop you don't get the 'car showroom experience' .

No wonder there are so many dealerships closing, leaving behind the ones that know how about customer service.

If we get poor service from a dealership we ought to complain in writing to the boss. Surely they can't want, or be aware of, the loss of sales due to poor service.

Dodgy Car Dealers - meldrew

Having read this thread I think I will put off changing my wife's car for a while, I don't think I can stand the strain!

As an aside on customer service I went with her last week to Emporio Armani in Manchester. They probably have more "timewasters" than I have had hot dinners. The staff were truly excellent and their patience outstanding. I suggest you try this on with this, Madam. and a different pair of shoes, what size do you take? and so on. It probably took an hour to buy a new jacket but for once even I did not wince at the price.

P S Anyone recommend a BMW dealer in Cheshire/S Manchester.........??!!

The often appalling treatment of potential customers by car salesmen

Totally agree with you in the main, although I do remember a major electrics retailer telling me the dvd player I was buying didn't come with any connection lead therefore I would have to buy a SCART lead

there are so many dealerships closing, leaving behind the ones that know how about customer service

You are actually completely wrong. It's the familiy owned, want to look after the customer dealers who are closing because they spend too much time (wages) & money trying to please existing customers who invariably test drive & get reasonable PX prices, then go to national groups who undercut them by £200 or so but who make this up by flogging them finance, Gap, paint protection etc

When you walk into a butchers, TV shop, clothes shop you don't get the 'car showroom experience'

That's because you walk into a butchers & say "can I have 6 sausages & half an ounce of best ham" & give the man the money he asks for & you don't say "how much will you give me for my half-eaten rasher of bacon in PX"

When was the last time you walked into a dealer & said " I want to buy a 1.4 SE Astra in metallic today, please". Let alone giving him ful retail price?

Edited by bonzo dog on 21/01/2012 at 22:42

So let me get this right, the vast majority of the complaints on this thread are down to time wasters, ignorant people, arrogant people, and people who want too good a deal.

Yup, I agree totally, that's been my experience with a lot of the dealers that I have come across. Here here.

Dodgy Car Dealers - gordonbennet

'''You are actually completely wrong. It's the familiy owned, want to look after the customer dealers who are closing because they spend too much time (wages) & money trying to please existing customers who invariably test drive & get reasonable PX prices'''

Agreed, but some are doing very well for the above reasons, the family owned Toyota dealer at Northampton is a shining example, doing very well indeed and backed by an excellent well led service dept who doesn't pull their customers pants whilst doing the job properly without looking for extra work, nothing is too much trouble. Customers return here because of the whole package....when i buy Toyota again i shall be.

'''When was the last time you walked into a dealer & said " I want to buy a 1.4 SE Astra in metallic today, please". Let alone giving him ful retail price?'''

Precisely, if you walked into the dealer and offered to buy his standard stock you would drive out in a bargain, but some customers want to pay scrag end price and then expect to choose the prime cuts of sirloin.

Some years ago I tried to place an order a new A4 at a West Midlands dealership (no longer there, unsurprisingly). They didn't want to know, telling me there was a X week waiting time, told them I was in no rush (wanted to get next reg), and all they did was try to flog me the overpriced demonstrator. I then went to another dealer and got a great deal and great service. They actually wanted to sell me a car. The first dealer plainly didn't for some reason.

Personally, I don't see a dealer not wishing to give a good / great deal as bad service. I might think it stupid , annoying or short sighted, depends on the deal on the table, but not necessarily bad service.

Lastly, I disagree with this idea that customers want 'sirloin' for the price of 'scrags' ok, who wouldn't want that, but I don't believe customers expect it. My favourite deal is generally when the seller & buyer are both happy, makes for a pleasant experience, and if there is ever a problem, it would hopefully be dealt with profesionally and courteously.

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

Getting a good deal, or not, doesn't define dodgy or poor dealers - it simply defines whether the deal is good, or not, for both sides.

A number of contributors have clearly thought some dealers dodgy or poor before they even get to the point of agreeing a deal - which raises a question "why do some dealers fail to meet customers expectations long before a deal can be reached".

So why? What does the motor trade gain from failing to meet early customer expectation?

Back in 1999 and 2002 we bought 2 cars from 2 well known car supermarkets. Good cars, good prices, exactly the service you would expect from places that have a huge turnover. But one of those failed miserably the last time I wanted to buy a car. Had a car advertised but it was a Newport and not Derby which is considerably closer, they wanted £300 by card to bring it for me to view and unless I could find a fault with it the £300 was not refundable should I not like it. Said OK, will come to Newport, only going to cost about £20 of diesel for round trip can you hold it for me until late tomorrow morning, OK they said, £300 deposit by card only refundable if I could find a fault. Gave up at that point, clearly not meeting my expectations.

Skid pan,
Is your glass always half empty,never half full ,this is your third post about your miserable experiences at the hands of car dealers .
At our dealership we registered a couple of complaints a year about sales issues ,that's from six hundred sales ,
You seem to have a poor experience on every other purchase.

Is it that your expectations are to high ,or are you just unlucky.

Take your last post ,initially you're disappointed that the dealer ,who I know well,wasn't willing to devote at least half a day of staff recources and expense to bring a car for you to view ,on the possibility, with no commitment on your part .That you could possibly buy it.

When you decide that you will travel to view the car ,again you expect the dealer to make a commitment to you ,on the off chance that you could buy it ,

Car supermarkets ,work on a principle of low prices ,low margins and quick turnover,they're not interested in service or maybe sales It's all about price.

They have little difficulty in moving stock ,even when times are difficult ,That's when they do best.

The car you could have bought ,would have been quickly sold to another buyer,
They didnt need your business.

Tony g

Skid pan, Is your glass always half empty,never half full ,this is your third post about your miserable experiences at the hands of car dealers . At our dealership we registered a couple of complaints a year about sales issues ,that's from six hundred sales , You seem to have a poor experience on every other purchase. Is it that your expectations are to high ,or are you just unlucky. Take your last post ,initially you're disappointed that the dealer ,who I know well,wasn't willing to devote at least half a day of staff recources and expense to bring a car for you to view ,on the possibility, with no commitment on your part .That you could possibly buy it. When you decide that you will travel to view the car ,again you expect the dealer to make a commitment to you ,on the off chance that you could buy it , Car supermarkets ,work on a principle of low prices ,low margins and quick turnover,they're not interested in service or maybe sales It's all about price. They have little difficulty in moving stock ,even when times are difficult ,That's when they do best. The car you could have bought ,would have been quickly sold to another buyer, They didnt need your business. Tony g

Tony G

You clearly have a problem understanding that not only me but many others on here are failing to have their expectation met.

We used to have mainly good experiences but they were in the distant past, recent ones have been mainly poor but the dealers who have treated us well have got our bussiness, unfortunately some dealers who have treated us well did not sell us a car, not their fault, the car simply did not win. But they will get the opportunity to sell to us in the future, those who treated us badly will not.

Surely it would not be a big pain for the dealer to hang onto the car for 12 hours while I travelled 100 miles the next morning to look at it, as you say he would have sold it even if I had not bought it but he lost a potential customer that weekend and I will never go back. As you say "they did not need my bussiness" and they lost it forever.

Skid pan,

(You clearly have a problem understanding that not only me but many others on here are failing to have their expectation met.)

I don't believe that many potential buyers ,have your unrealistic expectations.

The main dealer I worked for was one of the top performing dealerships in the country,repeat sales were excellent ,complaints ,about 2 a year ,were low.

The secret of our success ,keen pricing ,straight talking,an order form,plus a simplified order form that gave just the bare bones of the deal.ie vehicle ,colour,delivery time ,vehicle price ,and balance to change ,hence no room for misunderstanding.

Sales men had an initial script to work to ,it was designed to maximise the return on their time.
The first question ,have you bought from us before,the second does your company provide your car,etc. Using 5 questions in about 5 minutes we were able to establish who to spend more time with ,they were the most likely buyers .
The rest were given a brochure and a price list if that's what they wanted and invited to look around the showroom,if they wanted a test drive ,they were asked to ring me ,appointments for test drives were always a week in advance.They rarely kept the appointment.

Tony g

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT
Sales men had an initial script to work to ,it was designed to maximise the return on their time. The first question ,have you bought from us before,the second does your company provide your car,etc. Using 5 questions in about 5 minutes we were able to establish who to spend more time with ,they were the most likely buyers . The rest were given a brochure and a price list if that's what they wanted and invited to look around the showroom

How about the simplistic approach:- customer "please may I have a brochure, price list and look at your showroom models" followed by salesman " yes of course, here you are" - instead of 5 minutes of questions.

If the customer ended up not buying one of your cars, that would take even less of your precious time.

How about the simplistic approach:- customer "please may I have a brochure, price list and look at your showroom models" followed by salesman " yes of course, here you are" - instead of 5 minutes of questions.

Because in the main this does not sell cars.

As I've said elsewhere, what happens next is the customer asks for a PX price. Nice salesman tells him; he says "thanks I'll come back to you".

A week later nice (because he doen't want to pester customers) salesman telephones customer who says "sorry but I bought it from another garage because they gave me a better deal.

They did because they asked him what price they had to beat; he told them & they did ....... they then strapped him up on a 5 year finance deal with PPP

Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

Because in the main this does not sell cars.

As I've said elsewhere, what happens next is the customer asks for a PX price. Nice salesman tells him; he says "thanks I'll come back to you".

A week later nice (because he doen't want to pester customers) salesman telephones customer who says "sorry but I bought it from another garage because they gave me a better deal.

They did because they asked him what price they had to beat; he told them & they did ....... they then strapped him up on a 5 year finance deal with PPP

But if the customer is only at the brochure stage, they're probably not ready to buy yet - but I guess salesmen see it as more efficient to do it all in one go.

Who dictates how sales are clinched - surely it should be a mutual arrangement, not just one to suit the salesman?

Who dictates how sales are clinched - surely it should be a mutual arrangement, not just one to suit the salesman?

Spot on.

And it's the good (ie effective) salesman who persuades the customer that the arrangement that the salesman wants is the same as the customer wants ....... but is it?

Dodgy Car Dealers - austinambassadoryreg

Any dealer that didn't try the well worn pendulum selling/ good cop/bad cop sales routine would get my business. Typical the salesman will dissapear several times for 5 mins while he 'twists the( ficticious) sales manager's arm' . Just give me the lowest price you will accept and cut the BS!.

I don't think it's possible to cherry pick the most lucrative customers as some would suggest. Fobbing off a potential 'time waster' seems like a good way of losing the good will of a potential future customer (and generating alot of bad publicity as people share their experiences. All I would say to the dealers is that you are all essentially offering the same product. The only way to differentiate yourself without cutting your throat on price is to offer GREAT service.

If someone has bothered to show interest in your company, always replying to an email or offering a coffee shows that the customer comes FIRST. Word of a dealer that consistently goes the extra mile soon gets around.

Take the point on trade/retail prices .. a lot of customers seem to get confused by the gap particulary on the more expensive stuff. But anyone who has bought trade cars at auction and had the hassle of repairing the inevitable broken air con and electric window, fixed that undisclosed abs fault etc. will know why it has to be that way.

'I don't think it's possible to cherry pick the most lucrative customers as some would suggest. Fobbing off a potential 'time waster' seems like a good way of losing the good will of a potential future customer (and generating alot of bad publicity as people share their experiences. All I would say to the dealers is that you are all essentially offering the same product. The only way to differentiate yourself without cutting your throat on price is to offer GREAT service.'

Amen to that, I live in hope!
Dodgy Car Dealers - RT

Any dealer that didn't try the well worn pendulum selling/ good cop/bad cop sales routine would get my business. Typical the salesman will dissapear several times for 5 mins while he 'twists the( ficticious) sales manager's arm' . Just give me the lowest price you will accept and cut the BS!.

I had that done to me just once but never again - I walk as soon as they try that - if the manager is ficticious it's an insult, if he's genuine then sack the salesman and get the manager in the showroom or let the salesman negotiate