Direct Line Insurance - Jasmine

I have just received the renewal notice for my Direct Line Insurance. Hidden in the small print of the Changes to your insurance is this paragraph under the heading 'You must tell us about the following changes before the next renewal date' : 'had any accidents, thefts or losses (whether a claim was reported or not and regardless of blame). In other words I am now required to tell them of any minor prang even if it was settled privately between the drivers concerned.

Direct Line Insurance - ddr

Typical. How long will this legalised robbery be allowed to continue?

Direct Line Insurance - bonzo dog

Always amuses me how many people, presumably incapable of constructing a sensible arguement, resort to incorrect (& thus false) statements

How long will this legalised robbery be allowed

By definition there is no such thing as "legalised robbery"

Hidden in the small print

Obviously not hidden, was it?

As regards to the OP, they have informed you prior to you agreeing to take out the policy? Yes?

If you don't like their terms then don't buy their policy. Simples

Edited by bonzo dog on 27/07/2011 at 19:46

Direct Line Insurance - unthrottled

Or just don't tell them. I'd like to see an insurer track down a clam that doesn't exist!

'Tis cheeky though. None of their business.

Direct Line Insurance - jamie745

Its just an insurance company trying to jack up the prices on the basis of having made a 'claim' when a claim didnt exist. If you told them about this non existant claim they'll put the premium up the same as if you'd claimed on your insurance. Is this how desperate RBS are getting to get some money from somewhere? Dear god.

Dont tell them anything. You settled it privately to presumably protect a no claims discount and future premiums, by telling them this you'll be jeopordising your no claims discount and future premiums even though direct line didnt have to pay a penny in resolving your prang issue.

Keep schtum i say. Cant do you for a claim that didnt exist.

Direct Line Insurance - Roly93

Or just don't tell them. I'd like to see an insurer track down a clam that doesn't exist!

'Tis cheeky though. None of their business.

Absolutely ! How are they going to find out - ring every dent/scuff repair franchisee and every small body-shop in the UK just in case ????

Direct Line Insurance - FP

The requirement to tell your insurance company if you've had an accident (never mind whether you made a claim or not) has been pretty standard for some time, I believe.

I have no experience of how likely it is that an insurance company might find you out if you didn't tell them of an accident, or of what the consequences would be.

I suppose it's fair enough that they would want to know if you're accident-prone, even if you manage to settle privately.

I see the theory-but since it is completely unenforceable, it seems silly to bother stipulating it. Perhaps you get a further discount for being honest!

Direct Line Insurance - GazNicki

It is nothing more than a con. By the measure they are taking, it would be feasable to say that you should inform them if you have had chipsaway to repair a stone chip on your bonnet that happned by accident.

As mentioned, a claim is only a claim if you are claiming. This is probably to cover them incase people try to claim for injuries later on - but common sense always prevails. They will not pay out anything to anyone if a claim has not been logged via the correct channels. This smallprint is just another scam.

Like the same scam that saw my insurace rise with Direct Line by 60% this year because I had another year of claim free motoring.

Direct Line Insurance - Victorbox

The insurer needs to form an opinion of the risk you present partially from your accident/incident record which will include those you were lucky enough to settle privately. If you choose to conceal material facts from the insurer then that's your issue and makes a mockery of the declaration you agree to at the end of the proposal.

As for legalised robbery - most UK insurers haven't made any money out of car insurance for years relying on investment income on the premiums to offset underwriting losses. Interest rates are now through the floor hence somethings got to give and premiums are going up.

If you settle 'claims' privately, then they're not claims! People who settle claims privately are taking responsibility for their actions, keen to protect the NCD, and generaly disinclined to make inflated 'new for old' claims in the future. All of which is generally favourable from the POV of the insurer.

The declaration asks for things that are documentable; car, age, endorsements etc.. If there's no documentation, then it didn't happen!

Insurance companies are very keen to stress that collected premiums do not cover insurance payouts. This is slightly misleading since it implies that the insurance companies are running at a loss and are altruistically keeping premiums artificially low. Neither is correct. What ABI fail to mention is that the gap is made up from scandalous referral fees to parastic leeches such as accident management companies, credit hirers etc.

Only about a quarter of each claim is spent on repairing cars. The rest is fees and personal injury claims.

Since insurers are happy to be economical with the truth-then so am I.

The insurance company doesnt need to know about anything which hasnt cost them, or any other insurance company any money. If you settle a claim privately, nobodies claimed on any insurance and no insurance company has lost money. ie its none of their business

I dont buy the explanation above that its for them to further assess the risk you pose. You can be the most sensible non-idiotic 17 year old in the world who's never done a thing wrong but they'll still charge you a million pounds based purely on your age, believing anything additional doesnt matter. Its only when you start qualifying for cheaper premiums is when they're keen to hear more about you, ie to find an excuse to put it up

Edited by jamie745 on 28/07/2011 at 00:32

Why does the insurer need to form an opinion? They already do that with the hour-long process of applying for insurance. They form an opinion based on your age, your postcode, your marital status, your estimated annual mileage and even by the job that you hold.

If it isn't documented it didn't happen. If you are stupid enough to report to your insurance company that your car recieved a "love-tap" from another car which added little to no damage, then you deserve your premiums to go up.

If you ring a few insurance companies up and ask why the premiums have gone up, you'll find a multitude of different answers. This is just another way to exploit their customers who lack the common sense to make a decision about what the should and shouldn't be telling their Insurance Company, so that they can increase the premiums further.

If you are stupid enough to report to your insurance company that your car recieved a "love-tap" from another car which added little to no damage, then you deserve your premiums to go up

And if you are stupid enough NOT to report what they ask for, then you deserve to be told "we are not paying your claim".

And how are they going to PROVE that the accident happened if there is no documentation to back up the claim?

We are not talking serious accidents here. What the OP and the mass majority are talking about are those supermarket prangs that leave either little or no damage to the car, and no injuries. If there is any immediately visible damage then you would report it as the cost and the work involved would be intense.

But it is the god given right of every human being in this country to decide what information they wish to share. If someone reverses into your car an cracks the bumper and IS WILLING TO PAY FOR REPAIRS it would be stupid to claim on your insurance and have to consider the excess.

If you have an accident and you are at fault, then the onus is on you to resolve it via informing your insurance at the time or settling away from the Insurance Company. You should not be obligated to tell the Insurance Company (or anyone else for that matter) every single insignificant detail. What this statement from Direct Line does, is attempt to remove the element of common sense and decision making from everyone of their customers.

I have had dealings with Direct Line before, I am still a reluctant customer, but my wife changed providers last year. We was in an accident where somone went straight up the back of her car, writing it off. The police and insurance companies all agreed that the other party was at fault. However, the excess was taken from the pay-out and had to be claimed back, and the year after her premium with Direct Line rocketed.

But it is the god given right of every human being in this country to decide what information they wish to share.

In which case don't enter into an agreement where you declare that you have given the insurance co all the info they have asked for, as part of the agreement

The police and insurance companies all agreed that the other party was at fault. However, the excess was taken from the pay-out and had to be claimed back

If she claimed from her insurers of course it would; that is the agreement she has with her insurance co. If she had claimed from the other party or their insurance co she would have been paid in full.

You clearly have a lack of understanding of the concept or the word "agreement"!

I have a perfect understanding of the word agreement thank you very much. With your condescending tone, anyone would think you are in the Insurance Business.

While I lack the time to play games with you, I will however finish off by pointing out the paradox in which you have left us in.

We are obligated to inform the insurance company of any accident or claim, which we did after the accident. Our insurance company (Direct Line in this case) claimed all costs/expenses back from the other side - their job. Since this cost Direct Line nothing, nor did my wife lose any NCB, the premiums shouldn't have gone up.

This shows that reporting every little incident to DL will ultimately result in higher premiums regardless of fault or expense (including lack of) that the Insurance company has to suffer.

anyone would think you are in the Insurance Business

You are correct, although nothing to do with motor insurance.

What I object to (in the context of this thread) is people making false declarations in their part of the contract & then expecting the other party to honour theirs. Why I harp on about it is that in my work I see countless examples of this behaviour

This has nothing to do with insurance, it is about honesty - car insurance, house insurance, bank loan, hireing a car, buying a suit from M & S on a Saturday with the sole intention of takng it back on a Monday, telling the cashier at the shop or pub when she has given you too much change.

You are like most people I come across - honest only when it suits

Welcome to the real world. Please drive carefully.

Honesty? What about insurers whose claim line takes you straight through to an accident management company when their literature says "contact us in the event of an accident".

What about insurers refusing to disclose how much income they earn from referral fees and, misleadingly, quoting the statistic that premiums don't cover claims?

What about insurers refusing to honour your NCD if you don't have a policy for 2 years-yet using your last 5 years' driving licence record as a basis for calculating risk? Even when in the eyes of the law, the points are considered 'spent'?

I haven't got any points (never have) , have never made a claim and, thankfully, I haven't had to settle any incidents privately. But if I do settle a claim privately, I won't be informing the insurer.

However, I don't hesitate to hand back miscalculated change to a shop assistant. They are generally more honourable than insurance companies.

And before anyone thinks I am one sided, I've just had a call from an insurance broker asking to quote me home insurance.

They announced themselves as being from a big household name insurance co. Didn't like it when I told them they were lying to me.

Don't think I am saying insurance companies are always honest! But as my mum used to say "two wrongs don't make a right"

So you're saying insurance companies are honest only when it suits, and they play the system, they play us, they take us for a ride but we're not allowed to do the same? Two wrongs may not make a right but 'what goes around comes around' also rings true.

Did you mother not also tell you to 'treat others how you wish to be treated'?

Edited by jamie745 on 28/07/2011 at 15:54

You don't know me as a person, so I would suggest you do not question my honesty. You are making the assumption that I have settled an accident privately and not reported it making me 'dishonest' only as per the terms of the agreement. This is not true. What I do believe is that we have choices of what to tell who and when. It is what makes us human.

What I object to (in the context of this thread) is people making false declarations in their part of the contract & then expecting the other party to honour theirs. Why I harp on about it is that in my work I see countless examples of this behaviour

Not informing the insurance company of something either irellevant or unprovable is not making a false declaration. By paying the premiums we pay we are honouring our agreement to pay on time and in full.

This has nothing to do with insurance, it is about honesty - car insurance, house insurance, bank loan, hireing a car, buying a suit from M & S on a Saturday with the sole intention of takng it back on a Monday, telling the cashier at the shop or pub when she has given you too much change.

I have never told a lie to any of these providers or instances. I like to think I am quite honest. While nobody is perfect if I am given change back in excess of what I am due and I notice, I will give it back. I believe it isn't worth the cashiers job since it was an honest mistake. The same goes for the other instances too.

What is dishonest is the way some Insurance Companies tell you different reasons for increasing the cost of a policy by 60% when every part of the previous agreement was met without question, and a whole years fault-free motoring was had. Insurance companies that make claims on TV adverts about how they can save their members money - yet the savings are only to new customers not their exisiting ones.

Edited by GazNicki on 28/07/2011 at 16:21

You are making the assumption that I have settled an accident privately and not reported it making me 'dishonest' only as per the terms of the agreement. This is not true

You are corrrect, apologies. I was making the assumption of your "dishonesty" based upon your post:-

If it isn't documented it didn't happen

You are making the assumption that I have settled an accident privately and not reported it making me 'dishonest' only as per the terms of the agreement. This is not true

You are corrrect, apologies. I was making the assumption of your "dishonesty" based upon your post:-

If it isn't documented it didn't happen

Which is a statement that is very true and is transferable to any situation. You will have a hard time (if not impossible time) proving anything if there is no documented proof - both for or against your cause.

However, apology accepted - simply a misunderstanding I am sure.

Not informing the insurance company of something either irellevant or unprovable is not making a false declaration

We disagee then on the meaning of a "false declaration". Far more importently, I'm pretty sure mine will be viewed as correct by the courts

Insurance Companies tell you different reasons for increasing the cost of a policy

This is often because they will rate risk in different ways. For example one underwriter may take a broad look at the first letters in the post code whilst another will drill down to the individual street; one may rate your age bracket (say 40 to 49) whilst another will use the exact age of 44.

But yes, equally they could be lying!

Direct Line Insurance - oldroverboy

'had any accidents, thefts or losses (whether a claim was reported or not and regardless of blame). In other words I am now required to tell them of any minor prang even if it was settled privately between the drivers concerned.

I had a minor scrape a few months ago on a roundabout,difficult to prove liability either way, deep scratch on my front n/s wing. no damage to the other vehicle, swapped details, TOLD my insurance company, decided to get scratch fixed £140 inc, lot less than excess, told insurance company this, was informed if no claim received from the other party and file closed more than 4 months before renewal of policy, no change to ncd AND no increase in premium as "incident will be discounted" Just got renewal and difference about £9. not complaining! If you don't tell them and the other party tells their insurance YOUR insurer might check the insurance database, then when you do have a claim... Just thank the heavens above you are not paying EU insurance pricesor road taxes..

Leaving aside Bonzo Dog's obvious ties to the insurance industry (perhaps he works in Direct Lines sales department) and the fact that anything which stops insurance companies making money is fantastic news, this has all ended up a holier than thou preach about should/would/could etc.

Lets get back to the point. @ The OP, dont tell them anything more than they need to know, they're probably hunting for other ways to put premiums up now they wont be able to penalise men for being men from December 2012. If theres no documentation to prove anything happened then they cant do anything. What are they going to do? Go to court and claim you lied? Judge will say 'ok Direct Line wheres your proof?' and they'll go 'um...well..umm...dunno!"' and that'll be that. Its up to you what you do but i'd say just keep schtum and take the renewal. If you keep renewing with insurance companies and never claim they generally leave you alone and couldnt care less if you're alive or dead so long as the bill is paid.

To be fair, at least Direct line aren't (currently) on price comparison web sites. Every time I'm urged to compare the polecat or something, a little bit of me dies.

Direct line are cropping up on for home insurance on some comparison sites but not for motor insurance.

Im with direct line, because they were the cheapest, if a time comes when they're not, i'll go elsewhere.

Direct Line Insurance - oldroverboy

The other side of all this is someone drove into the back of an elderly friend, gave her details, friend claimed for damage ( new rear bumper) did not need hire car, so easy so far, but then had to sue the lady because she The third party) did not inform her insurance company, and when it all got settled she had several outstanding claims. (had not informed any of them) I spoke with her insurance company on my friend's behalf and they were actually deeply apologetic, and yes once they knew that their customer was involved in multiple crashes they settled, because the other companies told them., but the whole thing took almost a year.

Like someone else says, treat how you would like to be treated, But i add, If you don't tell and it comes back to bite you, don't whine and whinge about it, I for one won't feel sorry for you,

But as we also say, Happy motoring to all!

Finally, many thanks to Swiftcovers legal dept for their patience and help.

Direct Line Insurance - TeeCee

>Just thank the heavens above you are not paying EU insurance pricesor road taxes..

Er, actually British prices look rather ridiculous when seen from this side of the ditch. We also have green cards as standard and cross-border claims are common too, so we actually get a bit more for our premiums.

Incidently, the much-vaunted accident rates in Britain are not reflected in premiums. There are a few specialist British providers who deal with policies for long-term Continental use (i.e. they only insist you bring it home once a year for MOT and tax purposes). Everyone I know who has had occasion to take a policy with such, including myself, has found that their premiums were significantly lower than that which they had been previously paying for use in the UK.

Now, that being so, you have to bet that the reason is that the likely payout in the event of a shunt is significantly higher in Britain than it is on the continent and that the vitriol previously cast around here at the claims farmers and ambulance-chasers is well-aimed.

Incidently, the much-vaunted accident rates in Britain are not reflected in premiums.

That's a reflection of how little of each claim is actually spent repairing cars. This is a scandal to which both claimants and insurance companies have contributed. How often do you hear someoneboasting about reading their insurance compa-sorry accident management company the riot act because they got a Corsa as a courtesy car and they think this belittles them. Well, every courtesy car upgrade adds to the cost of the claim. Little things add up.

Direct Line Insurance - ForumNeedsModerating

Addressing the original point of the Op's post - the overall question the underwriters need answer is your likelt risk of accidents, thus possible future claims. When they have all the information, they can make that assessment.

Whether or not a 'claim' is made, or it was your fault or not, it's all relevant in assessing overall risk to them. Let's not forget, the underwriters/insurers are in jeopardy from issuing insurance & have every right to know what they're getting in to.

The point some have made about how the insurance company will find out if you don't disclose - I'd not risk not telling them. Apart from the honesty aspect (which may or may not be important to some as an existential good - for me it would be though..) you simply don't know what the other party have revealed (e.g. the other party in the OP's post) & may have given your full details to their insurer when requested similarly for full disclosure of no claim accidents etc.

Insurance companies do exchange data & if your name/details crop up in somebody else's disclosure (which you didn't declare) & you have an accident, you may well void your cover.

Direct Line Insurance - fredthefifth

My premium with DL rocketed due to an SP50. Voted with my feet and now with LV.

Sort of related to the above thread, if a break in or theft was reported to the police but any damage resolved privately what's the chance of the insurance company finding out if they aren't directly informed?

FTF