SEAT Leon - Any help appreciated - skerra52

I took my car in for an MOT & service this saturday and had a phone call from the garage to say that car had passed the MOT but when they had drained the oil, for the service, they found that the coil that goes into the sump had been cross threaded by whoever had changed the oil last and they can't now put anymore oil in until either they can find someone to re-bore the sump or, more likely I will need a new sump. The last time the oil was changed was at last years service but, this was done at a different garage. I really don't know where I stand as I have had no trouble with the car in the last year and suspect that the garage that have the car now have done the cross threading but, obviously, are not going to admit to it.

Is it a major job if they replace the sump and is there any way I could know which one of the 2 garages is responsible for the cross threading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SEAT Leon - Any help appreciated - 659FBE

You'll never know.

Concentrate your efforts on fixing the problem. If you judge the present garage to be honest and competent, ask them to put a helicoil insert into the stripped thread to allow the plug to be properly refitted.

Carefully done, this will result in an excellent repair. Bodged, it will fail. A new sump is expensive and time consuming to fit.

Thanks for your constructive answer. At what stage would they have known about the cross threading as they must have got the plug out so they could drain the old oil??

Would it take them long to fit a new sump ie do they have to take the engine out?

The most likely explanation of your thread damage is that the plug was overtightened at the last oil change, damaging the threads in the aluminium sump.

When this happens, the threads usually come out with the plug when next the plug is removed. This is probably what the second garage found when they drained your oil.

It's a fairly long job to change the sump and the parts are not cheap. A good repair is a better bet.

The car is at Chemix. They have always done my services except for last year and I've always been satisfied with their work. What their man has told me is that they are not sure they will be able to get anyone to fix/repair and the only other alternative is to have a new sump. However, obviously, I would much prefer what you have suggested so, should I ring them 1st thing tuesday and say that I really would want it repaired as, frankly, from what you are saying, I'm going to find it really tough to find the money if the job runs into hundreds of pounds ( I think the sump itself is about £90 ) ?.

659 , If you get the time to reply to my last post, I'd greatly appreciate your comments. By and large I do trust Chemix to do the best they can but would really like your independent advice.

Thanks.

skerra52

It's a bit hard to advise you at a distance.

A helicoil is a wire thread "insert" which is threaded into the hole. Obviously, an oversized thread has to be cut first to receive the helicoil which is then wound in with a tool.

The critical operation is the cutting of the thread to receive the helicoil - it must be dead square to the sealing washer surface or the plug will leak.

I would recommend that someone conversant with the procedure does the job - it takes practice to get it right.

Another approach is to thread the hole oversize and use a larger sized plug. This still requires accuracy to work. As with any repair job, the skill of the operator is paramount.

I would regard a new sump as an unnecessary measure - with care and skill, either method suggested above will work. Aside from the expense, you may have consequential problems if the sump is changed. If a repair job fails, the sump can be changed as a last resort.

659, I really have appreciated your help. Obviously, this is not something I would attempt to do myself. I will ring Chemix in the morning and say that I really would prefer if they can find a local expert, as you have said, who can go to their premises and carry out the task. I really wouldn't know where to start looking for such a person but, hope that Chemix can find one.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.

skerra52

SEAT Leon - Any help appreciated - Pat L

skerra 52 - good luck with the repair. About 12 years ago I wrecked the thread on the engine block of a Merc 190E when I cross-threaded a new spark plug. Luckily, a skilled neighbour performed what 659 describes and I had no problems for the rest of the time I owned the car. It took him a few hours, though.

Thanks Pat,

Will post when I know the outcome. The real thing that pees me off is that either the existing garage or the garage that did the service last year are responsible for this problem but, muggins is going to have to pick up the bill.

skerra52

SEAT Leon - Any help appreciated - PETER 4768

Probably too late for you now but the sump is about £80 to buy and less that 1.5 hours to change. helicoils always eventually fail there a great repair for a thread that isnt likely to be reused once tightened but on a sump thats a different matter, your sump is alloy and not especially thick where the sump drain bolt is located

regards peter

SEAT Leon - Any help appreciated - gordonbennet

If the helicoil works buy a Fumoto oil drain valve and fit it in place of the sump plug....it will never need to come out again, just lift and twist to drain the oil.

www.quickoildrainvalve.com/