skoda superb 1.9TDi 130 PD - electrical fault? - concrete

I need a bit of advice, dealers are all closed over the holidays. I have an excellent car with 123K miles. Serviced to schedule by main dealer. Mainly motorway miles. Today just a few miles from home the display gave an audible warning and flahed up Engine! Workshop! and the glowplug light started to flash. I arrived home and resolved to contact my dealer. Later, when it was darker I noticed the brake lights were stuck on. After some pedal waggling they went off. Presumably a faulty micro switch. I wondered if the two are connected or just a coincidence. Could a faulty brake light switch cause the display to issue a warning? Also if the dealer cannot fit me in immediately and the glow plugs are not working is it alright to run the car? I need to work on Wednesday and do a long trip of some 300 miles, would faulty glow plugs cause any damage if the car was used? Knowledgable comments would be welcome. PS the car starts fine and the oil, water etc are fine and the engine sounds fine. Thanks Concrete

skoda superb 1.9TDi 130 PD - electrical fault? - 659FBE

Brake light switch failure is common on the B5.5 - there have been several revisions and the latest ones are little better than the originals.

A faulty brake light switch will cause the "engine workshop" display and flashing glowplug indicator because the management system has to know the status of the brakes in order to implement fuel off (when brakes applied) and to cancel cruise.

There is a cross check in the system which compares the signal from the dedicated "engine management" contacts on the 4 terminal switch and the actual state of the brake lamps. If this test is not satisfied (in your case, the lamp contacts have failed) then a warning is flagged. Toyota may well have benefitted from this approach...

There is no problem whatever driving the vehicle in this state from an engine point of view (the glowplugs will be "off" anyway) but you will need to satisfy legal lighting requirements.

Buy a new switch from VW (always in stock) and fit it yourself. If possible find out the precise fitting sequence (pedal up or pedal down) as this varies with the switch revision. "Skoda" keep no parts for old Superbs - I have found them to be a complete waste of time. VW keep the lot.

Google for more fitting information - fitting is accomplished without tools as the switch body "bayonets" into the pedal bracket. The switches are very cheap to buy.

skoda superb 1.9TDi 130 PD - electrical fault? - concrete

Thanks again 659. You have put my mind at rest. There is VW dealer across the road from my Skoda dealer so if needed I will source the part myself. All the lights work and the brake lights do come on when the pedal is depressed. But they seem to stay afterwards until the pedal is pulled right back up deliberately. So I should not fall foul of the law or cause a problem with other motorists. Many thanks. Concrete