Mazda B-Series - Help! Radiator & Cooling Aggro..... - sandomenico

Hi, Can any one shed any light on this problem..

Car is petrol 1987 Mazda B2000 pickup

I got fed up with lack of heat from heater and suspected the thermostat which I replaced yesterday. On drive home there was very little if any improvement in heater output.

Today on the same drive back from work, just as I reached home (3.5 miles) I noticed a noise which I think was water escaping from the expansion tank. Opening the bonnet, the top hose was kind of 'sucked inwards' the top of the radiator too hot to touch, and the bottom radiator and hose practically stone cold.The radiator isn't that old by the way.

I wish I hadn't started messing around with it and poked up with the poor heating!

Any ideas whats going on here gratefully received. Thanks.

Edited by sandomenico on 08/12/2010 at 16:31

Mazda B-Series - Help! Radiator & Cooling Aggro..... - dieselnut

Are you sure you fitted the thermostat round the correct way, with the capsule towards the engine & that the coolant has sufficient anti-freeze for this exceptionally cold spell.

Mazda B-Series - Help! Radiator & Cooling Aggro..... - sandomenico

Are you sure you fitted the thermostat round the correct way, with the capsule towards the engine & that the coolant has sufficient anti-freeze for this exceptionally cold spell.

I definitely remember the thermostat going in the right way with the jiggle pin at the top too. I used 50/50 mix for the coolant. The hose kind of collapsing inwards is puzzling me more than anything.. Thanks for your reply.