New to car trading, need a bit of advice - Readb2001

Hello, today I purchased a car from my local British Car Auction for the first time as a trader. Following payment I was handed the v5 with the leasing company's name on as the registered keeper.

I then drove to the nearest post office to put tax on the vehicle, which is where the initial confusion began! The rather stern woman behind the glass refused to tax the car for me unless I applied for a new v5. I now realise that it is pretty difficult to tax a car as a trader without doing so having just performed a search on HJ Backroom.

Without even asking said stern woman began applying for a new logbook for me! I managed to get her to stop with just the 'mr' part ticked.. phew. She handed me back the documents, however she has not handed me back the yellow trader part. My questions are:

1. Is there really anyway I can tax the car?

2. Do I need to run back to the PO to get the yellow part of the v5?

Replies before 5:30pm most appreciated

Re

New to car trading, need a bit of advice - Collos25

Have a traders insurance policy?

Yes I've got one

New to car trading, need a bit of advice - pd
Just hand them the V5/C2 green slip - NOT the whole V5 and your traders policy (plus MOT if needed). Most do not require the V5C/2 to be filled in but if they do, write your name in pencil.

A lot will now stamp the V5C/2 barcode so you can't use it to tax the car a second time.

Whatever they do with the V5C/2 it will not regsiter the car in your name - only the main V5/C can do that.
Incidentally, she should not have kept or needed the yellow part. In fact, you shouldn't even have it, BCA should have completed it and sent it off to put the car "in the trade" in your name.

Oh right, I was a bit confused about that. I will give BCA a call asap, and retrieve the yellow slip from the stern woman! Thanks. Sorry if this seems really obvious, but when I sell the car do I just sign as the registered keeper under section 8?

Right, finally got the trade section back and will tax it using the v5c2 tomorrow.

Just as a heads up, I also phoned up BCA who said that as of May this year they do not need to send the yellow part of the v5 to the dvla as the dvla are automatically made aware that the car is in the trade.

The DVLA have been planning to introduce an online system for dealers to regsiter cars for some time. I seem to recall I was sent a leaflet about its introduction back in about 2006 but it never happened.

I can only presume some BCA branches may now have this system. Most certainly still remove the slip - I had 4 delivered from BCA this morning and none had yellow slips.

If the post office knows you it is easier - I tax cars all the time for customers picking them up and don't even need the insurance details as they know who we are.

Re. taxing it tomorrow using the V5c2, will it not put off potential customers when they see that the v5c2 has someone's name on it?